Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still having issues with the installation of my side glass into the various frames and channels. Here is a photo of my drivers side glass as it is currently installed in the lower channel. I used glass setting tape as recommended here at SNS. The photo shows my old window and frame and the new one. Although the glass setting tape and glass fit tightly between the edges of the frame opening, there is considerable slop in the bottom part of the channel. The glass is wobbly as it is now. The old channel looks to me like it has a molded rubber part that fills the whole channel opening. The glass setting tape leaves lots of open space for the glass to move around (pivot). Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here?
Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
523 Posts
The tape comes in several thicknesses.

To determine the thickness needed you need to solve the following story problem;

1- Measure the thickness of the glass.
2- Measure the gap width of the channel the glass fits into.
3- Subtract the thickness of the glass from the width of the channel then divide that figure by 2.
4- The thickness tape you need will be one of the following- 1/32", 3/64", 1/16", 5/64"

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
glass

have you attached the outer frames yet? it has been awhile since I did mine
if I remember correctly glass was wiggley until I put everthing together
it was pain to do!! I used white gas a.k.a coleman fuel to lube setting strips
put everthing together using a rubber mallet gently driving glass into place

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started off with 1/16" glass setting tape......it would NOT fit without tearing no matter how much soapy water and how careful I was. Got out the mic and dial caliper and measured everything. Ordered some 3/64" glass setting tape. Now, I can get it assembled (with a BUNCH of effort as it is still a very tight fit). If you look at the channel in the top half of the photo you will see the setting tape around the glass. You will notice that there is a huge gap father down in the channel. Is this normal? Should I use some black silicone glue or maybe that black window sealant (can't remember the product name) to fill in this opening?
Thanks for all you help guys.
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts