Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the axle bearings on a 1st gen pressed on? ('65 5 lug, 10 bolt rear) Hopefully I've got time this weekend to pull it apart and swap them out. Just want to be prepared. Thakns

·
Registered
315 Posts
Those bearings are pressed into the housing ends. When I changed mine out, I rented the tools from Autozone to remove and replace the bearings and seals. The rental is free, just put a deposit down.
You have to pull the back cover off the rearend, remove the bolt that holds the cross-shaft in place, and slide the cross-shaft out.
Once it is out of the way you can push in on the axle and the c-clips will drop out.
I keep my c-clips on the side they came from, but I'm not sure if they are different thicknesses, or not.
The spider gears and their washers will roll out too, so pay attention to how they will need to be rolled back in.
Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.

HTH,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. Last rear I pulled apart for my nova (since been blown up, broken pinnon shaft) the bearings basically fell out. I wasn't sure if this was normal or if they were really worn...time to got buy new bearings and seals and get this thing pulled apart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts