Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall,

the rear tires on my 64 are stuck between the brake drum and quarter panel. I can't pull them out. All the lug nuts are removed, but whenever I try to pull the tire out, the sidewall hits the panel and I can't pull the tire out.

How should I go about removing the tires?

Need help! I need to change my wheel bearings but I can't get the tire off!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I can't see the problem or how it is jacked up...but...That happened to me and I took the jack stands out from under the rear axle and put them on the frame somewhere to allow the axle to drop down lower allowing the tire to clear. Or you might be able to get someone else to lift the back bumper up while you pull out the tire depending on how big your tires are. Hope I made sence. :eek::eek:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Try jacking or using a jack stand on the frame. Then push the top of the tire in as far as possible and then pulling the the bottom out.

It worked as I imagined it, lol. Good luck

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Hey yall,

the rear tires on my 64 are stuck between the brake drum and quarter panel. I can't pull them out. All the lug nuts are removed, but whenever I try to pull the tire out, the sidewall hits the panel and I can't pull the tire out.

How should I go about removing the tires?

Need help! I need to change my wheel bearings but I can't get the tire off!
jack up the car with the bumper jack....on the side of the car where the tire is....this is a common problem with our cars and wide tires

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
:devil:
:devil:

Like mentioned, place the car on jack stands at the front spring hangers and let the axle assembly hang.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
you can't figure out how to get a wheel off the car properly... :rolleyes:

and you're going to then proceed to check the wheel bearings? :doh:

i think you should first step back and maybe buy a repair manual... :yes:

·
Registered
151 Posts
The rear end moves forward as the suspension is drooped out!!! Jack the car up with the rear end... That way shackle is pushed back....

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Jack the car up by the rear and place the jackstands on the frame just ahead of the front leaf spring pocket. Lower the car onto the stands and let the rear drop down. You can get them off now. This idea was already said but I posted the exact process I use to get my wheels off. I would not recommend jacking up the back of the car by any place other than the rear end. JMO

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
BTW if you are changing your rear axle bearings the rear diff cover needs to be pulled, cross pin removed, c clips removed and sxle shafts pulled. Usually the bearing surfaces are wasted too.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Jack the car up by the rear and place the jackstands on the frame just ahead of the front leaf spring pocket. Lower the car onto the stands and let the rear drop down. You can get them off now. This idea was already said but I posted the exact process I use to get my wheels off. I would not recommend jacking up the back of the car by any place other than the rear end. JMO
thats how i pull mine off, and the only way. The tires tuck way up in there.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If it's lowered and you are tucking tire pretty good, jack the diff a few inches , put stands under the axle , then jack up the body by the bumper brackets, and it will lift the body up away from the reared and then clear your tire, really easy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts