Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my rear seat recovered on my '65 Nova, and thought I'd pickup some seatbelts for the car while the seat was out.
Well, I bought the seatbelts, but now don't see any place to bolt them.
I thought rear seatbelts would be at least optional, and expected to see threaded holes, even if they didn't get used from the factory.
Were rear seatbelts offered in '65? If so, how were they mounted??

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good Question

My 65SS was the same way, front belts for the buckets and no place for rear belts. I though the books show rear belts as an option?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was a quick reply, thanks! I thought by that year they had federally mandated seatbelts, I guess that didn't apply to the back seat...or it was a couple years later. Oh well, now I've got an extra set of gray 90s vintage GM seatbelts :)

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Dano said:
That was a quick reply, thanks! I thought by that year they had federally mandated seatbelts, I guess that didn't apply to the back seat...or it was a couple years later. Oh well, now I've got an extra set of gray 90s vintage GM seatbelts :)
If you read the seat belt laws, most passangers still don't need them in the back seat. My 15 yr old boy pointed that one out to me!:eek:

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
My 65 has rear belts, but they look like a dealer install. They drilled right through the floor pan and bolted them in.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
wskaiser said:
I think all that was offered was front belts. Guess they thought the kids would just bounce around the back seat and not get hurt.
AHHHH! Remember the good ole days of bouncing around in the back seat and front seat for that matter:eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not worried about kids... it's the old folks :) Mom refuses to ride in a car with no seatbelt... guess she gets shotgun! :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
There should be factory dimple marks in the pan that you drill out,at least thats what there was in my 63 and also in my 64Imp.In fact supersport akaMario from the site hooked me up with a set for the 64.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Dano,
I added rear belts in my 63. There was nothing there for extra strength. Just get some pieces of plate and use use them in conjunction with the bolts/washers.

Here are a couple of pictures sent to me by Rich66 some time ago with dimensions when I inquired about installing rear seat belts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The rear belts didn't show up until 66, at least they started putting the spots in the floors for them. There are actually places in the early floorpans made for the belts, but without the holes, and reinforcements. I normally take them out of the 66 & 67 cars I part out to use in the earlier models. The ones closest to the driveline hump are approx. 2"x3" and oval in shape. The outer ones are rectangular, and are against the rear boxed frame. I can measure them when I'm at the shop tomorrow if you want.

·
Registered
347 Posts
rear seatbelts for 1st gen.

I put the seat belts from my 65 Suburban in the rear of my 65 4 door. I just drilled through the floor, and put some soda can diameter washers on the inside, and on the bottom of the floor underneath. My belts are black, but I will put originals in when I find some. Classic Industries has some, but I'm not going to pay $100 plus for 1 seatbelt, just because it has the same buckle on it as the originals did. I will probably use some from any of the 65 Chevy models, and have new belt material put on to match the interior, and paint the buckles. Good Luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts