Chevy Nova Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alternatives to a deep sump oil pan for 62-67?

I plan to replace my pan and as you all know my car sits real low. I am tired of having to pull in my driveway sideways just to clear the pan or going over speedbumps sideways. I'm just waiting for the day I rip the pan clean off the car driving down the road. I was planning on buying the deep sump Milodon pan but again I would be back in the same scenerio. Any suggestions or am I pretty much stuck with this style pan?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Any reason why you can't go with a front sump? Will the "long arm" 400 crank clear a stock chevy II pump / pick-up?

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John65ss said:
Any reason why you can't go with a front sump? Will the "long arm" 400 crank clear a stock chevy II pump / pick-up?
I would think. I have always been told to stay clear of the chevy II front sump due to poor design. I wonder how much affect it has if any at all. I do only have a mild 406 though. What are your thoughts on it.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I dunno... I guess it depends on what you are doing with your car. For a street car with occasional track time, I would THINK that a front sump would be OK. After all, I'll bet Jenkins' A/stock L79 probably had one. I run one on my 327, but it is only a 14 second car. I'm really not sure at what point the front sump becomes "trouble". I'm also not sure if it works with long stroke motors.

I believe I have heard that the cheap ebay $60 rear sump pan is a little shallower than Moroso / Milodon... maybe 8.5" instead of 9 or 9.5" deep. Maybe that is a low buck alternative?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Oiling system like they use on Nascar cars! I think they call it a dry sump system and it is used on alot of high end race cars. Then again it is a high end system to install and would require machining on the block!:nascar: :nascar:

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
John65ss said:
I believe I have heard that the cheap ebay $60 rear sump pan is a little shallower than Moroso / Milodon... maybe 8.5" instead of 9 or 9.5" deep. Maybe that is a low buck alternative?
I put an "extra road clearance" rear sump pan on my 67 and it's 8.5" deep. It wasn't as cheap at the Ebay ones (which aren't bad) due to it needing to fit a 1pc rear seal block.

For those concerned about road clearance with a lowered car, I don't think this sort of pan will still be short enough still. With my essentially stock height car, I'm just shy of 7" of clearance under the pan.

It's good enough for me, but nothing's good enough for Funky. :p :D

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NovatoriusWrecks said:
I put an "extra road clearance" rear sump pan on my 67 and it's 8.5" deep. It wasn't as cheap at the Ebay ones (which aren't bad) due to it needing to fit a 1pc rear seal block.

For those concerned about road clearance with a lowered car, I don't think this sort of pan will still be short enough still. With my essentially stock height car, I'm just shy of 7" of clearance under the pan.

It's good enough for me, but nothing's good enough for Funky. :p :D
Let's look...:D
What? Maybe 3"s?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
That looks pretty similar to the "ebay" pan.

Funky... I looked at that pic above... :eek:

I'd be afraid to take that car out of the garage the way some of the roads are maintained in PA!!! :eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a 67 with a moroso 7 qt. pan in 1980. I was taking that pan off about once every couple months to fix a hole. I wasted that engine and pulled one out of about a 76 pick-up. All I did is put small pipe in the corner of the pan and knocked it in about 1/4". I have a moroso 6 qt. on my car now. I had a piece of 1/8" plate put on the bottom and rapped around the sides about an inch as a safety. When I pull this pan off, I am going to try some other stock pans.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Dave, I've never had an oiling problem with my front sump. I run just the stock set up. to clear the 400, you need to notch the oil pump, or run a 12 point nut on the rod bolt on I think the #8 rod. you will also need to dimple the center of the pan to clear the crank (found that one out the hard way). You should be fine with the stock set up.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I have a solution, but right now it's CAD "vaporware" not hardware. It's a new front sump pump using a gerotor instead of gears. Clears stroker cranks with improved pumping ability over stock pump. If there was enough demand, it could be produced. See best of tech for thread on HD front sump pump parts.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
hi funky, most of the oil pans out there do hang low for the novas. i found the cheap ones like on ebay work good and don't hang too low. my trans pan hangs a bit lower than the oil pan. it's the same as on ebay but got it from one of those traveling parts guys you see at car shows. if you do get one don't buy the black painted one as the paint flaked off on the welds.even on the inside. get the raw or gold one.i bought the gold one.;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Anybody else notice the oilpan on the car in Super Chevy's article about the cpp front end install?
Looked like a different version of a front sump pan. Maybe a custom job?

Just curious.....
Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
66RICH said:
You might gain a 1" with that e-bay pan. Lot's of guys running
the stock pan setup with no problems. We aren't running high
rev strip cars. I plan on switching this winter when I change over
to the new 'A' arm setup, and lower mine back to stock.
Good luck, Rich
Rich,
Been meaning to ask you for a while now.... Why did you decide to raise your car higher than stock height and how did you do it? I have contemplated raising mine back up to stock height for the very reason of not having to deal with clearance issues when driving around. It gets old after a while.

Dave

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Funky, I had clearance issues like you with the pan, but i
also liked the look. I want to lower it back for a little more high speed
stability at the track, the back is also raised with rearched springs.
Here's a link to some picks of the spacers I made to raise the front,
they work fine, and was still able to align the front end without
problems.
With a front sump pan you should be able to leave yours where
it is if the pan is your only clearance issue.
Good luck, Rich

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.