Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share the results of an inquiry i made into using Detroit Speed and Engineering offset shackles:

Thank you for your interest in our Detroit Speed & Engineering products. Our DSE offset shackles, part # 040901 will not be a direct fit for your 65 Nova. We have had a customer purchase them knowing they would not be a direct fit and he has to do some heavy modifications to get them to fit correctly. If you have any other questions please let me know.

I guess I will have to look at sliders or something. All aprt of the fun:rolleyes::yes:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Competition Engineering's will work, and for about 1/5 the cost. They aren't pretty like DSE's stuff but I don't do pretty anyway.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
only thing with those is they raise the back end of the car at least 2" my friend joe has them on his 63.

you can almost see the top of the tire, thats a 26" tall tire. and look closely at the back you can see the rear spring eye and shackle.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have had good results making my own for the rear of First Gen's. They are simple to make with a good press or weld them up from three pieces if you have to. I had these bent on a press out of 1/8" material and they moved the spring in 2".

Once the bumper is on and the car is on the ground the only difference you can see is that the springs are closer. Also there is no ride height change and the tank is not comprimised.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have had good results making my own for the rear of First Gen's. They are simple to make with a good press or weld them up from three pieces if you have to. I had these bent on a press out of 1/8" material and they moved the spring in 2".

The shackles look great. How did it affect the front shackles????
I have the competition engineering shackles for the rear but it states that you will have the move the front shackles. Does anyone have any experience with these.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I installed the new front spring eye bushings and when you pull in the rear of the spring it affects the front very little and the springs aren't parrallel under there anyway. I just tighten the front spring eye bolts first.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I installed the new front spring eye bushings and when you pull in the rear of the spring it affects the front very little and the springs aren't parrallel under there anyway. I just tighten the front spring eye bolts first.
So are you saying that your doing mini tubs and only moving the rear of the leaf spring in? The front sit in far enough to clear?

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts

Once the bumper is on and the car is on the ground the only difference you can see is that the springs are closer. Also there is no ride height change and the tank is not comprimised.
Do you need to move the spring perch on the rearend? Thanks!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I know this is old but the Comp Eng shackles say you can't use with weld in subframe connectors? Why?

Also, I am wondering if HR&C has seen any ill handling effects with his homemade offset shackles. Any flex/give issues?

Thanks!
Warren..

·
Registered
759 Posts
Unless they are much longer than the stock shackle, why would the ride height change? My buddy has them on his 65, and it sits like stock.
The CE relocators, use stock shackles... they change the mounting point for them to be inboard and lower than stock, which is what cause the increased ride height.

I had them on my car and they worked ok, but they are not a direct bolt-in, you will need some small modifications the mounting them to reinforce them, but they worked well for me. I've since went to a bolt-in 4-link, and I am much happier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts