Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a lot of strange wiring issues over the decades but this one has me stumped.
Here's the back story, 1962 sedan, stock instruments, the instrument cluster lights stopped working, parking lights work, checked the voltage and switch operation, good there,
the fuse is good, have voltage on both sides of the fuse. I took the gauge cluster out, nothing looks out of place. If I understand the wiring diagram correctly, a single wire from the switch goes to the fuse panel, then another single wire leaves the fuse panel, at that point it splices with several wires each going to the cluster lights.
Ever heard of this crazy issue?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm no expert on car wiring, but what little I messed with mine and your descriptions make me wonder about grounding. So many problems on these old cars are grounding issues. Some of those lights have grounds wired to them and some ground to the metal housing. How about tagging a piece of 12 or 14 wire to a good ground source under your dash and grounding the metal housing with it to eliminate grounding first? If I remember right, the only ground for this cluster comes from a little ribbon strip of metal that one of the mounting screws for the bezel secures to the dash. That's my only thought after reading your trouble shooting sequence.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the input, I will check those today.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the biggest thing going on here is the fact that no voltage exists on the gray instrument light wire at it's termination point, which is the bulb socket. Regardless the existence of a ground, voltage should be there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I took apart my instrument cluster to fix the fuel gauge (yes, carefully), there is a ground wire attached to the metal backplating. here is the picture. (black wire)
instramentcluster1.jpg instramentcluster2.jpg

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thanks, my wiring has been a little wonky since the early 70's. That being said, I took the fuse panel off, cleaned it up some, put it back together with all fresh fuses and it's working. I think it was a combination of a few things, age and abuse and farm country crud being the main issues. I want to thank you all for your input, it was very helpful!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have seen a lot of strange wiring issues over the decades but this one has me stumped.
Here's the back story, 1962 sedan, stock instruments, the instrument cluster lights stopped working, parking lights work, checked the voltage and switch operation, good there,
the fuse is good, have voltage on both sides of the fuse. I took the gauge cluster out, nothing looks out of place. If I understand the wiring diagram correctly, a single wire from the switch goes to the fuse panel, then another single wire leaves the fuse panel, at that point it splices with several wires each going to the cluster lights.
Ever heard of this crazy issue?
99.999999999999999999999999999999999 to the 99999999999999999 trillionth power it's a ground. Always check and improve that first. We all learn with unfortunate experiences. :p

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Wow thanks, my wiring has been a little wonky since the early 70's. That being said, I took the fuse panel off, cleaned it up some, put it back together with all fresh fuses and it's working. I think it was a combination of a few things, age and abuse and farm country crud being the main issues. I want to thank you all for your input, it was very helpful!
There are a lot of connections to go wrong in the circuit. Some of the most common are the riveted connections in the underside of fuse box. The mere act of moving the box can cause the circuit to complete and you will have no idea which one or how long it will last.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts