Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing all the felts and rubbers for the door.. I bought the repoped kit from CI.

I cant figure out how to remove the old ones out of the front door.. and I was able to pull the rubber out of the rear side window, I cant get the new one to firmly stay.

Do I have to take the glass out to do this? Any vids or pics/writeups on this? I did a lot of searching .. found a lot for the vent window, but apparently I need the remedial class on window felt and rubber!!

Let me know!!

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
The factory tabs are in there pretty good. have a look at your replacement ones and you will see how they go in/come out. I would suggest buying a set of the plastic trim removal tools if you do not have them. I am wondering also if perhaps someone glued them in place - where you have had success on getting the quarter window one out.
You could also get more room by removing your window stop from the door and this will allow you to roll the window further down in to the door- getting it out of the way.
As far as getting the new ones to stay in place- I feel your pain- Nothing is as good as original- maybe you have to gently pry the tabs or use a bit of contact cement.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The felts on the inner side seem to be stapled into the metal door trim. The rubbers on the outside have a little "barb" that looks to slide in to some tabs.. but it just slides right back out.

This is really frustrating... I really dont want to totally disassemble the door if I cant get them back together!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I understand your frustration, i too used repops on my 63 and I had to do lots of trimming and modifying to get them to fit nicely. They were better than others that I tried and had to trash. One thing I do remember is that it was easier without the vent window and I did install the window glass but left it all the way down. Also the rubbers had the tabs and one small screw in the front and one in the back. Yes the tabs are super flimsy and worthless compared to originals. Here is a picture of the screw, this one is the one in the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man... any additional tips/tricks you recall would be greatly appreciated. Did you do the small rear windows too? I am guessing removing the window stop will be needed both front and rear (convertible)?

Having a screw actually hold them in place makes sense... I just dont "see" them yet.

And the staples for the rear windows confuse me if the metal above the arm rest doesnt come off.. I dont recall if it did when I had the interior out for floor pans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts