Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to dump the motor and trans back into the 63 wagon and have to start thinking about exhaust. Its got straight pipes out the back now and I'm not sure I'm feeling them. Anybody got pictures of what it would look like with the exhaust dumping in front or behind the wheels? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Randy

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Once I drop in a 383 I plan on running pipes back to mufflers mounted where the floorpan rises under the back seat and then dump down right after the mufflers infront of the axle. I know this is not the best idea. (blows up dust, its louder, might cause inspection problems, gas could collect under the car..etc etc) But for some reason I just have to have turn downs. You cant even see them from the outside of the car, but the way they look when ya bend over and look underneath looks [email protected] to me.:rolleyes: :D

But it will probably save money at the muffler shop since they wont have to bend the pipes to go over the axle and all that.

If you dont want turn downs I personally like it exiting behind the rear tires kinda like the stock setup.

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
JRD said:
Anybody got pictures of what it would look like with the exhaust dumping in front or behind the wheels?

Heres mine that come out in front of the tires...Before I tubbed it, I had them dump behind the tires, they were kinda hidden...Next time, I think i will run exhaust all the way out the back, with supertraps!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here is mine... its not quite what i wanted, but then i needed to kick it out to the edge cause when i bought the car it was dumping underneth. It makes a nice grumble... good and loud.... no mufflers, just the little cans under the door. Rev her up and let off the gas... pop bang pop... scares the crap out of little hondas.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Aren't all of the 62-67's really the same car underneath. :rolleyes: While not quite a 1st gen, it's close enough to call cuz'. :D

Here's my exhaust exiting behind the rear wheels. The pipe can't be seen unless you're down at ground level. You can see the chunk the original 6cyl exhaust took out of my lower quarter where it used to exit. :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I didn't want anything visible below the lower pinchweld, so used 3 1/2" oval tubing & a custom tip out through the lower rocker panel. Unfortunately I did this after paint, so I'll need a repaint from the beltline down on both sides.

·
Banned
726 Posts
This is the only pic i have that shows the exhaust. I ran 3.5" dia. round tube tucked tight to the floor. It was exposed like Mike was trying to avoid, so I painted it matt black.
-Steve

This is the Impala we're builing. We channeled the body so we were able to fit almost all of the 3" di. tubing up into the car, existing through the rocker.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Fenderwell Hookers and 3 inch Flowmasters right under the seats! Probably Old School by now. Ran 9.70 with or without the exhaust:D This pic was of my 64 on its way to AZ.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent!!!

Thanks for the picts. I'm actually gonna be hauling the kids in mine too so turn downs under the body just aint gonna cut it with safety inspector Mom. I really like the built ins, a little too much work for me though. I'm thinking behind the wheel, about even with the lower quarter.

Thanks again guys,

Randy

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Mine come out just in front of the rear tires with 3.5 inch SS tips. The rest of the combo are Hedmans coated elite into 2.5 inch pipes out to 2.5 flowmaster with a 2.5 45 degree piped into the 3.5 inch tips. The tips are mounted flush with the lower rocker lip. Looks good with enough blow by to keep the rear rims from getting dirty from exaust.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts