Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Racing a '67 that came with the round bow tie mirrors. Everytime I make a pass, the mirrors get blown down by the wind. I tried JB Weld a couple times, clear epoxy, attempted to get a weld to hold, and even tried NEW repo mirrors. Any suggestions?

I hate not having the mirrors (like to look at the burnout smoke and I have the brackets screwed onto the doors). Driving me nuts.

Someone must be racing with a set of these. I'm not sure where in the 1/4 mile they get blown down but I'm crossing the stripe anywhere from 137-142mph.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
well sorry to say this i would take it off so it doesnt get blown under the car and cause a major problem :yes: im having the same problem but mine just comes loose. im the same way i want to see the smoke when i do burnouts latley ive been using the rearview mirror to look for smoke

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I say "blown down"' I mean mis-adjusted so they point down (or worse hit the paint on the door). No risk of them blowing off the door.

Someone has to have figured this out - other racers of older cars probably have the same issue. I'm too stubborn to give up this quick! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd rather race without mirrors then slow the car down.. lol..

Its good to know I'm not the only one with this issue.... but still searching for a solution.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Both of my aftermarket mirrors on my 63 get pushed down...one after about 60mph and the other at 90.

I put a good size drop of red loctite on each one of the balls (after adjusting them where I wanted them) and let it cure overnight and next day. They haven't moved since and it doesn't really even show.

Maybe that will work for you.​

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the same thing with clear epoxy and they got blown down. Tried again with JB Weld and they held 2-3 passes.... then the other end of the stud (where it goes into the part bolted to the car) rotated (allowing the mirror to spin into the down position). Thinking maybe drilling a hole into the bottom of the part that the stud goes into to (car side) and putting JB Weld into the hole. The gray JB didn't look super bad against the chrome.

Thanks for the ideas and keep 'em coming. I was hoping someone would have beat this situation. Was hoping someone would say you need to use XYZ brand mirrors or run a welding current through them or some other trick.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I delt with that a few years ago. Then one day a English Town the mirror popped out of the frame at half track . It was unbolted from the door after that.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have 2 bowtie mirrors on my 64. the drivers side is tight it doesn't move even at 142mph. The passenger side moves alot. But I don't look at it. It's there for looks. After a while you can feel when you've done a sufficient burnout. I usually can feel the engine bog alittle knowing the tires are getting sticky then I roll out and stage the car. I never look at the mirrors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
6Nova4... I sort of agree and if I didn't have mirror brackets screwed to the doors already, I wouldn't install them.

Any idea where your D/S mirror came from? Original, aftermarket, brand??

Thanks

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The drivers mirror I bought from Jim Dyer chevy parts at the pleasanton swap meet. Comes in a white box with a "GM restoration parts" sticker on it. Don't know if its genuine GM or what. Then I decided later on to get one for the passenger side. Waited for the next p-town swap meet and bought another one.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Ditch those ugly bowtie mirrors and slap on some aero mirrors from like a nissan maxima.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Take the mirror off and rotate it enough to expose the ball (!) then take a center punch and dimple the ball lightly in 2 or 3 places.

·
Registered
94 Posts
mirror trouble

We have the same thing goin on and were only doing 11s but what i did was take the mirror off and set it in your lap and peen the outside edge of the mirror it self where it meets the ball,it may take a few wacks and if you do it right you wont even see the marks. And try to do it on four sides.
Oh and be carefull not to hit to hard as you will break the mirror.

Sorry didnt see the last post. What he said. ^

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Both seem like good suggestions. Yesterday, prior to reading these, I took some more JB Weld and hit the ball area AND the area where the stud goes into the arm that attaches to the door (after adjusting to where I wanted it). Not show quality but the gray behind the mirror doesn't jump out at you. Either way, I made four 9-second passes yesterday and still standing!

Someone should invent a solution like where you tighten a jam nut on the stud or something to lock in the adjustment. Sounds like some people even have problems with this on the street.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts