Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully mounted their diecast hood lip emblem on a steel cowl hood? More specifically I am trying to mount an original '63 emblem.

If so what's the best way to drill the holes considering I don't have the stock hood to create a template.

Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK...maybe does anyone know or have they ever seen a cowl hood with the original diecast emblem in the hood on a 1st gen. Anything you guys can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I mounted my 64 diecast to a glasstec hood, but it mounts from the bottom with bolts and not studs so you can use the diecast as a template.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I mounted my 64 die cast on my goodmark steel cowl hood. No issues:no:

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Ron, your 62 diecast wont fit?? Whats off with it?

As for the 63 diecast you need to slot the holes up and down the posts wont go straight in.

The diecast fits fairly well, at least mine did. But be careful to not make the holes too tall otherwise it will show above the emblum. Drill them low and open them "up" a little at a time.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,869 Posts
The model 400 hood lip trim can be pretty pricey ! I saw on eBay an outrageous bid on a '63 400 trim piece, i'll keep mine.:D

The oval holes are 1/4" wide x 5/8", 1/2"would be better.They are 1/4" from the lip like this " 0 ".Hope it's any help.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Ron, your 62 diecast wont fit?? Whats off with it?

As for the 63 diecast you need to slot the holes up and down the posts wont go straight in.

The diecast fits fairly well, at least mine did. But be careful to not make the holes too tall otherwise it will show above the emblum. Drill them low and open them "up" a little at a time.
I guess I am going to have to get my diecast out of storage and try again. I sem to remember that is did not fit the contour of the front edge of the hood.
Ron

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I have a 62 diecast that has all the studs broken off of it. My plan is to drill through it to make a template out of it to mark my hood for the holes.

I put it up to my cowl hood and it fits nice and flush, I'd dare say perfect. I wont say that all of the hoods are exactly the same, so maybe finding an un-useable diecast and cutting off the studs to check yours would tell you all that you need to know Ron, then you could also use it to make a template for the holes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sorry to jack the thread, but what are you guys using for hood springs for the Goodmark 2'' steel cowl hood. The hood sare considerably lighter than the stock one, plus I put rebuilt hinges on it and between the lighter hood and stiff hinges it feels like I'm going to bend the hood in half.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I bought my hood used and was told it was a Goodmark and the structure is design a little different and is definitely lighter.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I bought my hood used and was told it was a Goodmark and the structure is design a little different and is definitely lighter.
If it is differet then the one that Ron pictured, I think it might be another brand. You could try going through a place that sells glass hoods and get the lighter springs.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Can you post a photo for us? My diecast will not fit my 2" goodmark cowl induction hood.
Thanks
Ron
Sorry it took so long to reply. Everytime I went to the shop I forgot my camera. So here are a few pics with cell phone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts