Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you 1st generation Chevy owners done with your cow grill? One guy in here said he cut his out and closed it . My car is about ready to be painted and, looking into the grill, that area needs sanding and painting also.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
yes this is quite a dilemma for us all. My 65 is a long way from paint but here is what I came up with:
I had the passengers cowl side removed for repair so I used a piece of threaded rod (3/8 i believe) and welded a flap wheel on to the rod and inserted the rod into my drill. I was then able to reach into the cowl vent are from the cowl side and get over half of this area sanded. I think I used a 80 grit flap wheel. For the drivers side I am going to try a smaller flap wheel ( they are available in many different sizes and grits) an try to go through the hole on the cowl side (rubber plug is usually there) and try to reach the rest of the cowl vent area.
of course the fenders are off, if your are all bolted on then this will not help.

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is a very good question! I just noticed mine the other night, and the area under the grille is filled with pine needles and such. How was this area intended to be cleaned?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cowls

Good idea with the rod and flaps., yea... how were these supposed to be cleaned out?

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Who needs it?

I am going to fill mine as well. In fact I am doing it later this week. I have the grill cut out already. I am thinking of cutting off the passenger side wiper shaft and just having one wipper. I have spent way to much money to drive my car in the rain but I would like to be able to keep the rain off the drivers side window if I get caught in the rain. I also am going to fill the speaker area in the dash due to the fact that my stereo will be my LS engine. After the cowl is filled I will be sure to pull out the plugs on the side cowl and use body wax or undercoating to coat the inside cowl so the bare welds and old metal get completly covered and don't rot and then replace the plugs.

Not only does it look clean without the cowl grill, it will help preserve the car because water flows down thru the cowl into the side firewall area and finally dumps into the rocker panels where is "should" drain out to the ground. Besides I will have my Vintage a/c on or the heater on and do not need the air flow from the outside at my feet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts