Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone did this? I have been told that only one side needs to be cut to get the 56 1/2” width necessary.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Why??

Anyone did this? I have been told that only one side needs to be cut to get the 56 1/2” width necessary.
Doesn't cutting one side leave you with a center section that is off-center? Cutting one side leaves you with one standard axle and one custom cut shorter axle.
SORRY THERE IS JUST SOMETHING WRONG WITH TRYING IT INSTALL A F**D ANYTHING IN A CHEVY.
Do yourself a favor and find a 10 bolt differential from any 64-67 Chevy II, Nova and it will bolt right in to your 62. The main difference is the 64-67 will have 28 spline axles and that solves the problem of the 62 axle with 17 spline axles. Unless you are running over 400hp the 64-67 differential will do just fine.
The 64-67 Chevy II, Nova differentials can usually be found for $200 or less if your patient.
If you are looking for the cheapest way to handle more than 400 hp than buy a 9" ford. The 9" can be built to any application, they are much cheaper than any GM 12 bolt.

·
Registered
140 Posts
On the Ford 8.8" Explorer axle, the center is offset from Ford. You will want to get a second passenger side axle to replace the longer driver's side axle. Measure the difference between the two axles and that is the amount you have to remove from the driver's side tube. The Ford 8.8" is basically a GM 12 bolt in Ford clothing. I picked mine up at a pick-n-pull on half price day, with a second short side axle found under a hundred bucks, 3.73 trac-loc (posi) with nearly new disc brakes. (Don't forget to get the u-joint adapter flange from the Explorer). You will also have to move the spring perchs but not difficult.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I did a 8.8 in my car also. Cut and narrowed, dutchman racing axles, rebuilt posi with carbon fiber clutches....etc. Works great and like the others have said, they can be bought for around 150.00.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Purchased two 8.8 (one posi complete) one spare for the short axle and housing if I mess up the cuts, both for under 250.00. Now the problem will be getting a 5 x 4.75 bolt patter to match my fronts.

Find a V8 powered ford with 3.73 posi for the larger tubes so you can weld aftermarket 4-link to it without custom mods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts