Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - Looking for reccomendations on the best way to do this. Your input is really appreciated as I am looking to you guys who have done this before.

Situation:
I have a 64' Nova putting in BBC with a Q-Jet carb and plan to still use existing powerglide transmission for now. What is the best way to get the throttle and transmission linkages working. I have the old linkage (both throttle, transmission, and kickdown but am missing stock pedal. The Q-Jet carb I am going to use is also missing the brackets to hold the linkages on the side.

Been researching here and seems main options are (help me if wrong):
1. purchase new linkage arms from Chevy2 (3 pieces that will cost $250+) and I think I would still need the brackets that would go to the Q-Jet Carb I would be using? This looks like it would get the transmission working but I am not sure if this will even work as BBC will have tight clearences. So still need Q-Jet bracket and throttle stuff for this option?
2. Go with a Lokar pedal assembly and throttle cable. Still would need a bracket for carb and still need stuff for transmission...can I get a bracket for the carb that the new throttle cable goes to then get somthing to adapt the transmission linkage to to that carb bracket? If yes who makes this and what works for my situation?
3. Are there cable kits for the transmission also ---- like if I converted to a floor mount shifter instead of the column. If I got a floor mounted shifter kit for the transmission and then a cable kit for the throttle do these still need to be integrated to work together at the carb?

Sorry for so many questions but I just want to make sure I do this right and there seems to be many options on how to do this. Your input and reccomendations are greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the upper and lower rods are straight... they can easily be made... you'll need to know the specific lengths is all...

the bell crank for the back of the engine is really the only part that you'll need to find, either reproduction of by finding a used one for sale. i've sold all my extras but they aren't that hard to find.

the kickdown linkage really has nothing to do with the gas pedal. that can be aftermarket, such as a Lokar unit, the kickdown linkage connects to the lower portion of the throttle lever...

the shifter linkage or cable has nothing to do with the kickdown either... an aftermarket cable operated shifter will work just fine. but again the kickdown linkage is a separate assembly has nothing to do with the actual trans shifter or gas pedal...

here's a picture of the assembly:
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/64Flyer/ChevyII-Nova Information/Powerglide kickdown linkage/

more P/G linkage info:
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/64Flyer/ChevyII-Nova Information/Powerglide Linkage Info/

hope i've helped...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
like this?

Thanks for the quick response. So you are saying I need that 1 bracket and then can probably reuse of fab the upper and lower arms as they are just straight. This takes care of the the transmission kickdown corret?

For the throttle can use cable or linkage and is independent of trans kickdown.....So I could purchase the Lokar pedal assembly and cable.. this would mount in stock location for pedal assembly then cable just gets routed to the carb.

Do I have this correct?

Also is this the same bracket you are referring to?

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...S3A20VUGH124761615224d~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000132A#

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
no, that's the rod. shows lengths though so that info is helpful to you.
16017-2
APPROXIMATE DIMENSIONS:
11 3/4" END TO END
1 1/8" C-C ON THREADED STUDS
THIS IS A MUST TO RETAIN YOUR POWERGLIDE TRANSMISSION PASSING GEAR & GOVERNOR OPERATION
3 PCS TOTAL ARE NEEDED 16017, 16017-1, 16017-2
here's the bellcrank...

KICK DOWN PIVOT ASSEMBLY POWERGLIDE V8 Year 1962-1967
Details

NOVA NOTE:
BOLTS TO BACK OF BLOCK USING TRANSMISSION ATTACHING BOLTS, DRIVERS SIDE
WHEN CONVERTING TO A V8 FROM A 6 CYLINDER
THIS IS A MUST TO RETAIN YOUR POWERGLIDE TRANSMISSION PASSING GEAR & GOVERNOR OPERATION
3 PCS TOTAL ARE NEEDED 16017, 16017-1, 16017-2

Part# 16017 Price 74.95

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ordered bellcrank - other items

Ordered the bellcrank and rods - sounds like this will resolve the transmission kickdown conversion issue.

On the throttle do is it just a matter of making new brackets, converting to the cable style or what? The positiion of the carb will be different from the 6 to the V8.

Once I have is all connected what is how do you know the transmission kickdown is adjusted properly with the throttle?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts