Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if any Steves member has accomplished a Concours Restoration on a 1st Gen. Nova? If so, please let me know as I'd like to discuss the possibilities and problems. Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
689 Posts
Restorations

You are not likely to see many first-gen Novas at a Concours event so I'm not exactly sure what you mean. There were so many of the early Novas made that they just do not seem to rate a "concours" invite. There are many guys here who have restored early Novas, including me. The 65 SS I have has already earned a senior award with AACA in it's second showing and there must be several guys with "Gold Class" restored cars as judged by NNN. Plenty of original cars too. That is about as "good" a restoration as you could get judged for a "restored" first-gen in my book. Be glad to discuss the steps and issues with restoration. What are you wondering about?

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greg, and 64PRONOVA,

Thanks for your response. I have a '63 Nova SS convertible and it's straight, with no-rust floorpans. I have most, if not all, the parts for a complete stock restoration...what's not there I can rob from my '63 SS hardtop.

I am a member of a couple of car clubs in MN, and have yet to see another stock '63 SS convertible. There are other SS convertibles here, but all have been converted to other drivetrains, or otherwise hotrodded, etc.

So, I'm wondering if it's worth the restoration process or if I should restify it instead...front clip, LSX, etc. I have friends from both camps...those that would like to see a preserved pure stock, restored, convertible, and those that suggest a mild custom upgraded to current brakes, drivetrain and better driveability. Also if restified, the stock components saved for a future restoration. I am conflicted. :D:D:D

I was a member of NCRS for awhile and remember how meticulous Corvette restorations could be to be competitive in NCRS, especially Bloomington Gold, events. Are Gold Class cars judged the in the same manner?

Building the car either way will involve incredible time and effort, but I think even more effort/time would be needed to compete in a gold class, or concours, event. I think I want to compete with this car but ultimately I want a safe, driveable, car that is at least worth the cash laid out for parts...not necessarily including my time and elbow grease.

Thx,
Ed

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
There will be an endless debate on this topic but I like to see an all original car sometimes.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
This is a huge can of worms and I probably shouldn't open it because you will get tons of opinions... In my opinion a convertible SS should be kept stock. It is unique because of its rarity. A modified clip and LS with all modernized components is unique for its functionality and performance. In my book it makes no difference if a cars an SS if it's not all original...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,758 Posts
Building the car either way will involve incredible time and effort, but I think even more effort/time would be needed to compete in a gold class, or concours, event. I think I want to compete with this car but ultimately I want a safe, driveable, car that is at least worth the cash laid out for parts...not necessarily including my time and elbow grease.

Thx,
Ed
Well if you are building an all-out show car, don't expect to drive it. It will need to be a "trailer queen" if you want to compete. My car was a trailer queen at first but it's now just a "nice driver". I can still win most local events but the competition isn't very stiff. It wouldn't take much to re-restore mine to show quality though but then it's right back to an ornament rather than a driveable car.

When it's up on the lift though it still looks immaculate. A little cleaning and paint touch-up required but it still looks good.

I like to drive mine though. Not a lot, just on a nice day or to various events. But that's enough to knock it from the all-out show car ranks.

I also have two other hot rod Novas (64 & 66) so I never feel the urge to hot rod my 65.

·
Registered
689 Posts
endless question

Thanks for the kudo's regarding my car. To me the question is really a personal choice. I had the hotrods and wanted to do a restoration. My 65 SS was much like your 63 SS vert. A good car to start with. You can be happy either way if you know what you want the car to be. As ProNova said, my car does not get driven much except to local cruise-ins and shows. It would be trailered if more than 30 or 40 miles away. So "councours" means "Trailer Queen", if you can be happy with that. I also feel a straight 63 SS convertible should be preserved. There just aren't that many left to see. It the case of a 63 it also means a 6 cyl car and you sometimes don't get a lot of respect for that. Most local car shows want big chrome V-8's so you need to be comfortable with that too. Lastly, the Novas are wonderful cars that all of us here love, but restoration will probably not pay for itself if you plan to sell the vehicle when you are done. By the time you have all the trim restored and new chrome, paint and body work, you will probably have more in the car than it can sell for. But hey! That's not why we do it is it?

Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts