Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been wanting to simplify my dash and get rid of gauges spread out everywhere, I was also tired of the cheapo Sunpro stuff I was using. Though about going Autometer and piecing it all together, but in the end I decided to go with the Classic Instruments cluster with Velocity Series gauges. I liked the setup of the gauges with a stockish looking appearance and arrangement.

Let me start by saying that the Classic Instruments quality is impressive, right down to their instructions and tech support. The gauges servo motors are damped, so needle operation is smooth like a modern factory reading. No issues during install, other than my mechanical speedo gears being worn. I ran the speedo cable in the same location as the old mechanical cable. I took the opportunity to clean up the wiring in the dash, I still have the stock harness but fortunately it's not been butchered up.

I went from this:

To this:

Water Temp Right/Fan Switch Left

Oil Pressure:

SN16 Pulse Generator for Speedo:

The only additional gauge at the bottom is an Innovate Wideband I have in the car right now, though I may remove it once I finish tuning. The cluster has LED's behind the diffuser, and are well placed without being annoying. I opted for an LED dimmer but I'm not sure it's really needed. I'll snap a few night pics later.

Very happy with the results, no more gauges everywhere with bouncing needles. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Been wanting to simplify my dash and get rid of gauges spread out everywhere, I was also tired of the cheapo Sunpro stuff I was using. Though about going Autometer and piecing it all together, but in the end I decided to go with the Classic Instruments cluster with Velocity Series gauges. I liked the setup of the gauges with a stockish looking appearance and arrangement.

Let me start by saying that the Classic Instruments quality is impressive, right down to their instructions and tech support. The gauges servo motors are damped, so needle operation is smooth like a modern factory reading. No issues during install, other than my mechanical speedo gears being worn. I ran the speedo cable in the same location as the old mechanical cable. I took the opportunity to clean up the wiring in the dash, I still have the stock harness but fortunately it's not been butchered up.

I went from this:

To this:

Water Temp Right/Fan Switch Left

Oil Pressure:

SN16 Pulse Generator for Speedo:

The only additional gauge at the bottom is an Innovate Wideband I have in the car right now, though I may remove it once I finish tuning. The cluster has LED's behind the diffuser, and are well placed without being annoying. I opted for an LED dimmer but I'm not sure it's really needed. I'll snap a few night pics later.

Very happy with the results, no more gauges everywhere with bouncing needles. :)
I had Classic Instruments in my Willys before they sold out to the guy in northern Michigan. The new guy has been increasing their product line and I think improved quality a bit as well.

Your dash looks great... I like the simplicity of the layout.

Just one question. On the speedo, is it programmable? As in you stop the car, hit a button, drive 1 mile exactly and hit the button again and it's set?

Just wondering what they're doing now for speed tuning.

Again, very nice looking dash.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The speedo has a set of dip switches on the back, that you change based on your mph reading when driving 60 mph (compared to a gps).

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got back in town today, snapped a picture of the cluster at night. This is without the LED dimmer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The speedo has a set of dip switches on the back, that you change based on your mph reading when driving 60 mph (compared to a gps).
Now that you bring that up, I remember that's what I had to do. I borrowed my dad's GPS for that very purpose.

In my case it was a PITA to get to the dip switches to do the setting. Hope yours is easier to reach.

Very nice looking by the way... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that you bring that up, I remember that's what I had to do. I borrowed my dad's GPS for that very purpose.

In my case it was a PITA to get to the dip switches to do the setting. Hope yours is easier to reach.

Very nice looking by the way... :thumbsup:
Actually, the factory dip switch setting worked for me. It was probably because I matched my speedo drive/driven gears for my tire size and rear end gear ratio.

Here's the chart to correct the speedo in the event I change tires or what not. Fortunately, we can access the back of the speedo in the Nova. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same system only painted my internal bezel black.
I love the look and the function but I do disagree with the placement of the LED's I find the side reflection off the drivers-side vent window just a bit annoying on a long night drive.I have also had passengers comment on the harsh side reflection.
I will likely opt for the dimmer one day.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I love the look and the function but I do disagree with the placement of the LED's I find the side reflection off the drivers-side vent window just a bit annoying on a long night drive.I have also had passengers comment on the harsh side reflection.
I will likely opt for the dimmer one day.
I agree with 63 Deuce. I LOVE the look of mine, and how they function, but the side reflection is pretty bright.:yes:

I will be looking into the dimmer too.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with 63 Deuce. I LOVE the look of mine, and how they function, but the side reflection is pretty bright.:yes:

I will be looking into the dimmer too.
You can pick up an LED dimmer for around $30, I'll post some pics of mine mounted.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
NICE JOB I'M PLANNING ON CHANGIN' THE GUAGES IN THE VERT:ragtop: SINCE IT'S BEEN PAINTED, THE ORIGINAL WHICH I REDONE IS JUS' NOT UP TO PAR! IMO:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts