Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can somewhat easily modify a 1963 SS automatic console to work with a manual shifter? I thought I saw a car where someone had done this. I'm not sure if this mod is covered anywhere, but I couldn't find anything on it. Any ideas are appreciated...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently have a Saginaw in my car now, but I also have a Muncie and a super t10 in my shed, which eventually one of them will be in my car. I just think a console would make it look a little more finished. I have 65 gto bucket seats in it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is that an original 4 spd console? never seen one before! I used an auto console and looks ok just a little problem with boot, the first one would pull the shifter out of first or third if you didn't hold it.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
I currently have a Saginaw in my car now, but I also have a Muncie and a super t10 in my shed, which eventually one of them will be in my car. I just think a console would make it look a little more finished. I have 65 gto bucket seats in it.
Since it sounds like you are not too stuck on total originality, another option is to use a 66-67 4-speed console (which are currently being reproduced).

This is what I am doing with my '64.

1965 Corvair buckets (narrow like the 1965 Nova seats were) with a '66 4-speed console.

Looks factory.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Can you tell me what shift boot you used for your install??

I have an automatic floor console with the large opening like you have (pictured below). According to you from this post back in 2008- http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105696, my console must be from an 'early' 1963.

Anyway, I need a shift boot that will work with this console. I have a new shiftworks shifter that is now mounted and sticking through the larger 'round' opening.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I'm talkin about! That console looks sweet! I thought about using a 66-67 console, but I don't think it would fit with my 65 gto bucket seats. I think my seats would be too wide. Looks like I will have to start looking for a good SS auto console that I can modify. I am not concerned at all about originality, at least with this car. It is in very clean condition but it is not really anything special, that I would feel bad about changing things on.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I know its all about condition but what would I expect to pay for an automatic console, both pieces in average condition. I saw one listed on ebay a while back with a buy it now price of $500. That seemed high to me. Certainly more than I was willing to pay.
Vic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts