Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I have not had too much luck with this so far but I am going to try this again. Swapping Original L6 and 3 on the tree for a 283 and 4 on floor or TH350. Which ever is more user friendly. I should mention that it will be a mild 283, no big lumpy cam, mild but not big. The car is a 65 4 dr. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!:(

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
v8 swap

switching from the 194 to a v8.Can I use the trans and bell housing from the 6 cylinder its a 3 on the tree now Thanks

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
v8 swap

So the bell housing works all I need to get is the conversion(some type) kit,manifolds or headers some basic reroute electrical work a 153 tooth fly wheel and clutch and pressure plate and go to work?
Thanks
Bart (crosley) yes I own one

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, I dug up this old post because I am getting ready to put a 383 in my '67, which had a straight 6 in it. Do I need to replace the Frame Side of my Motor Mounts or can I use the same ones the 6 cylinder mounted to ? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
O I have 3- 65ss(1-18) all with V=8 None of them have the fact. motor or the fact oil pan . You can do it

. Later Larry Mc

·
Registered
489 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one, & I think this'll be useful for folks like me on a budget & wanna use what they available to them. So I'm pretty much finished with my V8 swap (Finally!!!) but I want to know what length oil dipstick are you guys using for 1&2 gens? (Front sump 5qt)
My pan is Chevy2Only part #13205
I have a 17.5" oil dipstick tube & a 19" oil dipstick.
I have enough oil in there but it's not measuring anything!
Any help would be appreciated:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
v8 eng swap

I wish i knew how to save this thread for reference later on. I am going to put a 400 ci sbc in my 63 and I am going to stay with the power glide tranny. the motor is a performance built motor and the block is a chevrolet sportsman bowtie performance block. I am thinking I am still going to have to go with a rear sump pan made for the steering linkage to pass through due to the fact I cant find a front sump conversion that will clear a 3.75 stroke. this motor was built by a company that built sprint car motors in napa valley calif. their company name is Bailey Bros. performance. If anyone has heard of them id like to hear what you know about them. I have never done this type of project before so wish me lots of luck. Glad to be a new nova guy, I have loved them forever!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
well, it is 2014 and now i am attempting to put a 69 V8 350 into a 63 Nova.
i bought the kit. I have read the articles. I have read the forums.
I have reached the point of installing the oil pick up tube. and BAM!!
it can't be done. They sell a kit that needs customizing. Cutting, and or welding of the bracket. I have a 4 bolt main. So now I research all the forums about this problem. And there are a couple different ways to fix it. Of course I can't find one that is explained well enough for me to attempt it with the tools in my garage.

I think I will either take it to a machine shop or maybe a neighbor can cut and weld the bracket. OR bend and drill a hole. This really sucks. I don't understand why this kit hasn't been altered by the manufacture to have a pick up with different brackets. One that works with a hole in the block's webbing and one that works with the main cap bolt. They include a main cap bolt with the special upside down bolt, but then all those parts don't line up with the bracket.

Such a waste of time and completely frustrating. If there is anyone in the Atlanta area that can help or has gone through this let me know. I am at the mercy of this one bracket to even move forward with my restoration.

·
Registered
788 Posts
well, it is 2014 and now i am attempting to put a 69 V8 350 into a 63 Nova.
i bought the kit. I have read the articles. I have read the forums.
I have reached the point of installing the oil pick up tube. and BAM!!
it can't be done. They sell a kit that needs customizing. Cutting, and or welding of the bracket. I have a 4 bolt main. So now I research all the forums about this problem. And there are a couple different ways to fix it. Of course I can't find one that is explained well enough for me to attempt it with the tools in my garage.

I think I will either take it to a machine shop or maybe a neighbor can cut and weld the bracket. OR bend and drill a hole. This really sucks. I don't understand why this kit hasn't been altered by the manufacture to have a pick up with different brackets. One that works with a hole in the block's webbing and one that works with the main cap bolt. They include a main cap bolt with the special upside down bolt, but then all those parts don't line up with the bracket.

Such a waste of time and completely frustrating. If there is anyone in the Atlanta area that can help or has gone through this let me know. I am at the mercy of this one bracket to even move forward with my restoration.
Ah, now you know why this is called a customized car industry! I know that ouch all too well too.

I happened onto the same predicament, but the help of my little Lincoln MIG welder solved the problem quickly. I don't have pictures of this procedure, but if you look forward in this thread, I think you will find the pictures. Yes a machine shop should be able to help you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, Ive read all I can find. I have a 63 wagon with a 194 in it. The PO put a TH350 in it and it also has a ford 9 inch rear end. I have a chance to put a 1976 Chevy truck 350 in itMy questions are:
Will I need to do anything else driveline or transmission mount?
If I pick up the Chevy II kit with engine mounts, pan, and...
Will I need anything else?

·
Registered
65 Posts
this helps

One more thing to be careful with is the FUEL line. On the Six cylinder cars it stops at the shock tower on the passenger side. The Stock V8 Fuel line tucks under the frame and runs on the outside of the frame and turns back in under the stock battery box. The reason I brought this up is some guys just clamp a rubber hose onto the original line and run it right next to the EXHAUST. Which I feel is not safe.
One more thing is the stock OIL pump ( Mildon ) was not made to clear a 350 stroke. So some grinding has to be done on the OIL PUMP to the clear THE NUMBER 8 ROD NUT. Plus I ground a little off the top edge of the Rod nut too.
Also there are a couple of places on the pan that need to be hit with a hammer to clear the rods as they come around.

Hope this extra helps.
I was going through an engine that came with my 63 nova. Its a 78 Corvette 350. AS I put new rings and pistons in it , I was rotating the crank when I noticed the #8 as you say was going to hit oil pump. I also ground down the case to fit. The oil pan has lots of dings , this may explain why. The next question is the pickup tub that goes to front of engine has a mounting hole but no place to mount too. Has anyone drilled block and added a small bolt here?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts