Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any chance one of you folks in mid-restoration can show me what the original two screws look like that are used for the sill plate extensions? side view would be helpful. this will only apply to cars with the back seat out, currently (or those with an incredible memory).

you will be settling a bet, so i thank you in advance!

the pic below shows the part.
sill plate.jpg

-Rusty

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! that is exactly how i remember it.

i have a very, well, we'll say proud car restorer nearby who insisted they are 1/2" domed phillips screws, flat back of head. maybe they could be different car-to-car, but this to get about four people with the same response...well, ya know, he may be wrong.

-Rusty

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
OK guys, here is what I have. The first photos above that I show have the replacement screws in place. I went to the shop and
took out the originals and they are exactly like the replacements. The photo below is of the replacement and show the measurements.
I got these replacements from AMK and the part number is written in the photo. I hope this is useful info for you.
DSCN0583.JPG

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, riverboatman!

the photo in the link you posted, i see the head is slightly rounded or convex on top. here i thought it was flat on top like the screws for the door panel stainless trim.

also thought it was galvanized. so much for my memory!

thanks again for the info, and taking the time on something a lot of folks may find too tiny a detail.

-Rusty

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
When I took my original screws out I put them in a bag along with the plates. I have no reason to believe that they were not original. I can attach a photo of the original if you absolutely need it but believe me that the new ones look exactly like the one in the photo. Some cars might have had flat headed screws, I don't know. All I do know is that these were in my '65 hardtop Nova.

I'm like you, some of the tiny stuff drives me up a wall. I could have used a different screw but I went out of my way to get screws that looked like the originals.

Edit note: Something that I just thought about. My car was a late July build and there could have been the possibility they ran out of galvanized screws and substitued chrome ones. It could have happened as there has been some things on my car that others couldn't explain.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one thing i know: when i use the original screws, etc., they fit like a glove. when freestyle occurs with things that should fit, they need to be forced, or it bulges just a bit and doesn't fit perfectly, etc.

if there is no choice, well, okay--freestyle it is.

just my experience.

-Rusty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts