Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am finally out of school for a couple weeks and I want to rebuild my carb now that I have time. I know the 2bbl is better and would love the 4bbl+offy. I want to keep it original and if I do put in a new carb it will be a holley 390 cfm.
The gaskets are leaking and If my car sits for about 5 days without starting I have to put gas straight into the carb to get it to start.:mad: I know I need a rebuild kit but do I also need the diaphragm, seat & needle, and float. What other things should I change. I have rebuilt a quadrajet so I hear these 1 bbl are fairly easy to rebuild. I am optimistic and I figure in spite of their reputation to fail there are many people that use multiple single barrels with success so they cannot be that bad.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New 2bbl and HEI issues?

Thanks for the reply but I looked at my carb and found a sticker from a local carb shop which led me to believe it has been rebuilt. I ordered a two barrel carb, adapter and a new hei distributor from stovebolt. Parts will be here Monday.:yes: I have a few issues though. I guess there are four issues.

1. What spark plugs and plug wires to use? (looking for suggestions)

2. Hood clearance with the air filter. (I got a 2 barrel to four barrel air cleaner adapter) I need an air filter that will work. The one from stovebolt will not.

3.The carb is a the holley from langdon's and has a hot water choke so I ordered the electric choke kit.(I don't know how to get either one of these to work so which do I use and how do I hook it up. Can I leave the choke off?):confused:

4.The most important that I nearly forgot is the linkage. The one from stovebolt will not work either?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Just wanted to make sure you buy HEI plug wires vs. the standard wires! :yes:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assumed I would need HEI wires. I was looking for recommendations. My current wires are 7.5 mm thick and say made in the U.S. Came with the car and I do not think they are the stock ones. Is the diameter all that matters? I am guessing material is important as well. I was going to go to an auto parts store and just ask for some wires and spark plugs for a 75 Nova Inline 6.

Anyone have any advice/solutions to the linkage and choke issue? I'm sure I could figure out the air cleaner.:yes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts