Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a donor engine for the 65 Nova but I do not know if the price is good, bad or indifferent. Heck, I'm not sure if this will drop right in my Nova after the oil pan is swapped, electric fuel pump is hooked up, and the intake with carb is fitted. What I do know is that it has the set of heads I want, 062 castings, and the block is a roller. I am sure that the rest can fetch a few dollars on ebay as well.

My two questions are:

1) Is $400 a fair price? Engine has 177K miles and will need minor machine work to clean up from normal wear and new bearings/cam/head work for lift

2) What flywheel is needed for use with a TH350?

Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have found a donor engine for the 65 Nova but I do not know if the price is good, bad or indifferent. Heck, I'm not sure if this will drop right in my Nova after the oil pan is swapped, electric fuel pump is hooked up, and the intake with carb is fitted. What I do know is that it has the set of heads I want, 062 castings, and the block is a roller. I am sure that the rest can fetch a few dollars on ebay as well.

My two questions are:

1) Is $400 a fair price? Engine has 177K miles and will need minor machine work to clean up from normal wear and new bearings/cam/head work for lift

2) What flywheel is needed for use with a TH350?

Thanks fellas!
when u say 98 vortec engine im assuming its from a truck or van and NOT an LS. And hopefully a 350 not a 305. In that case its an old smallblock chevy and you should have no problems. or at least no more than the usual probems haha. u need a flexplate for a one piece rear main seal engine, and as for price, well your ditching the oil pan, manifolds, fuel injection, flexplate bc i think its a 168 tooth, probably the starter as well, and front accessories. so you're left with a 177k mile long block that needs to be torn down and gone through. I might want to haggle that price down a bit bc we all know once we get into something it snowballs!

·
4,535 Posts
I'm doing a temp swap on my 65 pretty soon using a 305 vortec from a 98 truck. Mine was free so I am using it while I rebuild my current motor. I got an intake & electric fuel pump as well as the stock flexplate. I am trying a modified stock pan and if it works great if not I have a backup plan (mildon style with the hole for the steering running through it). My backup backup plan is a kevco pan. Starter is different and I hope my accessories all bolt up (looks as if they will).

Miles

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm doing a temp swap on my 65 pretty soon using a 305 vortec from a 98 truck. Mine was free so I am using it while I rebuild my current motor. I got an intake & electric fuel pump as well as the stock flexplate. I am trying a modified stock pan and if it works great if not I have a backup plan (mildon style with the hole for the steering running through it). My backup backup plan is a kevco pan. Starter is different and I hope my accessories all bolt up (looks as if they will).

Miles
I've used one of the the milodon pans, its a nice piece. is the intake vortec specific? they have different bolt hole locations. as for the accesories, the water pump is reverse rotation on the vortec so you'll have to use all your stuff, im fairly certain the bolt holes are all there. good luck

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it is a truck motor. Even though I have to ditch the vast majority of the accessories, I was thinking of selling them on ebay and on local forums. I think I may have the fellow talked down to $200 and he is pulling the engine.

Thanks for the input guys! I will post pics as soon as I am able to get things rolling.

Bob

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Just an FYI, I have a 97 silverado with the vortec 350, 175k miles on it still runs strong, does not leak or burn oil still. Does have a little piston slap when dead cold but it goes away after 30 seconds. Oil pressure still solid...

Point is those are great motors and my 350 has great power, puts you back in the seat in 1st gear.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have an 88 block in my Nova which is essentially the same block. (one piece real main seal) I have a front sump oil pan made for this engine. Works great is you want to go that way. You can use a small flex plate and small starter from an LT1 motor.

I am using a complete front drive from a 327. Everything bolts up and lines up fine. Gotta love GM for this.

Tim

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, it is a truck motor. Even though I have to ditch the vast majority of the accessories, I was thinking of selling them on ebay and on local forums. I think I may have the fellow talked down to $200 and he is pulling the engine.

Thanks for the input guys! I will post pics as soon as I am able to get things rolling.

Bob
If im not mistaken the alternator from those trucks is the same as an LS1 camaro. and the power steering pump fits "LS" truck engines as well. might be worth it to LS guys with truck accessory brackets too

·
4,535 Posts
Yes the intake is made for vortec heads, I am using a std waterpump from my 327.

Miles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts