Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I went and picked up a 1989 L98 engine. It is a complete engine. I had him pull the intake and head off of the engine before I got there to check it out. It is a roller engine(which is what I was looking for), there is no ring grove to speak off(.002) and the bearings look good as well. He said the engine came out of the car with 45,000 on it. It is very clean inside and out so I would take his word for it. But I have a few questions since this is the first roller engine I have messed with. OK so here are the questions. When I change out the cam will I have to replace the lifters? I have roller rockers off of my 1978 350 will I be able to reuse those or will I have to replace them with a different set? The heads have push in studs, how much lift can I go on the cam before I have to have them pinned or have studs put in them? Also will I be able to use the manual flywheel that is in my Nova now or are they balanced differently? By the way I only gave $200 for the complete engine minus the distributor, flywheel, and brackets which I don't need anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
First, yes, with a new hydraulic roller cam, you can reuse the stock lifters, you just have to get a cam that's compatible with this engine. This engine uses a thrust plate to hold the cam in place, so the new cam must have the groove machined in it for this plate. I'm not 100% on the rocker arms, but I think the engine you picked up uses self aligining rockers, so no, your rockers won't work, but I may be mistaken. My 1990 Formula used the aelf aligning, so that's why I'm figuring yours does as well. Lift has nothing to do with the pushed in studs. Valve spring pressure and rpm have more to do with it than anything. If you're going with a more performance oriented cam, get the studs replaced with screw in studs. If you have them machined to use guide plates as well, then your roller rocker will work just fine, so there's an added bonus, just remember that now you'd need hardened pushrods for the guide plates. As for the flywheel, no you'll need a new one. The one peice rear main seal engines use a different flywheel than the older smallblocks do.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Advantages and disadvantages to everything. LOL I would like to turn the engine around 6500 or so. I will make sure the cam I order is for this type engine as well. I am going to go through it and put all new bearings, rings, oil pump and gaskets in it along with new timing chain and gears.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts