Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can pick up an 85 Iroc posi rear pretty inexpensively. Can this be used on my 74???

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
85 would have a 26 spline 7.5 ring gear and most likely a 2.73. Its a coil spring and torque arm sset up so you would have to add leaf spring mounts.

Bottem line is alot of work for a very week rear.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Most of the 85's were 342's, because of the 700r4, it could either be a 9 bolt or ten and as mentioned were coil sprung, but can be converted to be leaf mounted, you'll need to find out the over all width.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys sounds like too much work...And I dont have a ton of knowledge either...It was cheap though and I think it was a 9bolt with the 342's

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The 9 bolts are real expensive to change the gears, I have one here from an 89 GTA with disc brakes I was going to use on an S10, but never did.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I believe they're wider and will need spring perches. Your best bet is a Nova 72 up so you'll want an 8.5 10 bolt they cheap and fairly popular still.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe they're wider and will need spring perches. Your best bet is a Nova 72 up so you'll want an 8.5 10 bolt they cheap and fairly popular still.
I guess in the long run its easier to just make mine a posi...

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
If you have an 8.5 I would recommend that, they are very strong rear ends.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts