Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on Nova resource and noticed that the production number on the 1978 rally nova was at 6900 cars and the Hatchback was at 12,000 cars.
Is there a way to find out how many of the Rally Novas produced had the hatchback option? In decoding the Vin etc.. Is there anyway to tell if the car is in fact a rally or not ? I am under the impression if the car has the proper badging grille etc that this is the only way to tell if it is a true rally ?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you have the build sheet with the car, that is the only sure way to know if it is a true Rally. You can't go by the Cowl Tag since they could come with any engine. Technically though, the grille, headlight bezels, emblems and striping are the only difference. Also, all the 78 Rally's I've seen were only available with the Custom option which included the 3 panel taillights instead of the standard 2 panel, and the chrome rocker and wheel well trim was replaced with stripes. If you have the 3 panel taillights, then you know it's either a Rally or a Custom.

Exterior Details

Black finished headlamp bezels with bright perimeter molding
Special chrome plated, diamond pattern grille with specific horizontal parking lamps
"Nova Rally" emblem, multi-colored, in center of grille and on front fenders (delete "Nova" or "Nova Custom" from front fender side and "Chevrolet" emblem from center of hood)
Triple-band striping on lower body and over wheel openings - available in 5 colors: gold, orange, red, black and white
Triple-band striping on rear end panel (not included in 1XY27 Custom Coupe)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car has everything that you stated except the tailights are the standard
2 panel. Does this make the car 1 of 12000 or 1 of 6900 ? I came across another 78 rally hatchback that will be on ebay this weekend and has the same taillights that mine does. Mine is the light camel with white stripes and the onw going on ebay is blue with white stripes ? I am going to start taking the car to local shows and I am trying to put a info sheet together just not sure what it is either 1 of 12000 or 1 0f 6900. I am also looking for some hood hinges. I guess age has gotten to mine the backside of the hood will not sit flush with the car. I have adjusted it still no good.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey

New to this site, been trying to find key points on my 78 rally nova, if it really is a true rally or not, it has the 3 piece taillight, with cabriela top, no silver trim, automatic, with bucket seats and red interior. Has rally grill, lol help! Vin says hatchback custom, but says rally on front and sides of car

·
13,965 Posts
According to the 1978 dealer brochure, the Rally package was available for coupes and hatchbacks in both Nova and Nova Custom models. Only the Nova Custom models had 3 panel tail lights. The Nova model with the rally package would still have 2 panel tail lights.

Bob

·
Registered
857 Posts
The car has everything that you stated except the tailights are the standard
2 panel. Does this make the car 1 of 12000 or 1 of 6900 ? I came across another 78 rally hatchback that will be on ebay this weekend and has the same taillights that mine does. Mine is the light camel with white stripes and the onw going on ebay is blue with white stripes ? I am going to start taking the car to local shows and I am trying to put a info sheet together just not sure what it is either 1 of 12000 or 1 0f 6900. I am also looking for some hood hinges. I guess age has gotten to mine the backside of the hood will not sit flush with the car. I have adjusted it still no good.
Thanks
The answer to your question in reguards to production numbers, in short is both. If your car has the rally option it's one of 6,903.Since it is a hatchback it's one of 12,665. GM produced about 25% of specialty cars from total production counts. I would consider a Nova rally hatchback to be in that 25%. So of the 6,903 rally's for 78 model year, roughly only 1,726 were hatchbacks. This is my guess based on having worked for a Chevy dealer and knowing what new cars were ordered by the dealership.
The fact is, these production numbers are based on what the plants built rather than what the dealerships ordered for the customer. I talked to a lot of salesmen from the 70's who all said that the goal was to talk the buyer into a car from their inventory, rather than a pre-ordered car. Even if this meant discounting the price. Although many buyers had demands that forced the dealerships to order what they wanted.
I do know that the hatchback was an option for the nova and not standard equipment. So you may have a pre-ordered Nova opposed to a unit the dealership ordered for inventory.

·
Registered
857 Posts
New to this site, been trying to find key points on my 78 rally nova, if it really is a true rally or not, it has the 3 piece taillight, with cabriela top, no silver trim, automatic, with bucket seats and red interior. Has rally grill, lol help! Vin says hatchback custom, but says rally on front and sides of car
Welcome to SNS.. it's possible that you have a Nova Rally because you could get the Cabriolet option on any Nova from 75 to 79 including the Rally and SS models.Because the Cabriolet was offered on any model (excluding the hatchback) it was never recorded how many units had this option. I seen a 78 or 77 in a junkyard one time with the Rally and Cabriolet option, blue with white top so l know that GM combined the Rally and Cabriolet options, but l think it's still pretty rare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts