Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 78 Nova last Sunday only the headlights, running lights, and front right side blinker worked. So first I replaced all the bulbs in the back; after that I had both back running lights, brake lights, reverse lights, and a rear right side blinker. The last thing left to investigate was the rear left side blinker. So I decided my next step would be to replace the socket, I took out the socket, got a new one and proceeded to test to see which wires did what. I walked up to the front of my car, put the key into accessory and pulled my light switch....and nothing worked. Blown fuse, no big deal right? Anyways, not having a fuse I wrapped the blown one in tin foil and things began to work again. Then that night I drove to Walmart, not in my nova, and bought new fuses. Now, this morning after replacing the fuse..nothing works again. No headlights, no running lights, brake lights, the light indicator in the dash isn't even working :( The tin foil fuse from last night doesn't even work. I am 100% confused and don't know what to do or where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
You should get a wiring diagram for the car and then start tracing wires from the end to the source. Does it have power at the end? No, move further up the line. Keep repeating until you find where power does start or you locate obvious damage. With this car I would start with is the battery properly charged, is there power to the fuse box in general and is there power to the different fuce box terminals when there should be (i.e. with the ignition on)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I followed the wire back to the left rear brake light, somewhere along the line it had a short, then a crossed wire. Everything works now :)

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
Groovy! Glad I could help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts