Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello new to this site. i have a 1977 rally with just about zero floor pan left in the rear under the seat.my question id what can i do to fix without buying a floor pan yet. due to covid i have limited funds and really the car doesn't need restored yet i just want to make it safe and drivable. thanks in advance

·
Registered
302 Posts
Do you own a MIG welder? If your car has rust in the rear, it’s going to have rust in other places. Your local technical schools may have classes available in welding, and might allow you to use your car as a project.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,130 Posts
I suggest, if you haven't already done so, pull the seat nd roll the carpet back. If there's a hole under the seat then most likely the rear window leaked and the water also ran down to the floor pan......and sat there and rusted. you should also check the front floor boards and toe boards for the same. Novas also like to leak at the front corners near the windshield and the water goes down to the floorboards and ....rust. figure you will be replacing at least 25% more metal than you can see. One you have a better scope of work you can figure how to go forward.
I found one hole under my rear seat and ended up replacing most of the for pans ...but only in the low spots, the metal under the seat was like new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you own a MIG welder? If your car has rust in the rear, it’s going to have rust in other places. Your local technical schools may have classes available in welding, and might allow you to use your car as a project.
yeah I have a welder I can weld to hold it just doesn't look pretty. I don't believe the car needs to go to a shop for a full body the paint is only a few years old. The last owner had a drive through paint place paint it. The body isn't bad just the floors didn't know if anyone had suggestions on how to fit sheet metal on with all the bends.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suggest, if you haven't already done so, pull the seat nd roll the carpet back. If there's a hole under the seat then most likely the rear window leaked and the water also ran down to the floor pan......and sat there and rusted. you should also check the front floor boards and toe boards for the same. Novas also like to leak at the front corners near the windshield and the water goes down to the floorboards and ....rust. figure you will be replacing at least 25% more metal than you can see. One you have a better scope of work you can figure how to go forward.
I found one hole under my rear seat and ended up replacing most of the for pans ...but only in the low spots, the metal under the seat was like new.
windows have been out of car they do leak just the tiniest bit I posted to the last gentleman on here the car did do to a drive through paint place not long ago. I cant believe they didn't catch this considering they replaced the inner rear fenders

·
Registered
302 Posts
I installed some bracing in front of this area to connect my full length frame connectors. This area, ties the “torque boxes” to the rocker assy, and keeps your car from falling in two pieces if you race it. Originally this was braced up barely enough, and with the rust that gets in the seams it needs some help on most these cars. FBE7C5DF-7E5F-4EA7-9E27-B47ACD970923.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed some bracing in front of this area to connect my full length frame connectors. This area, ties the “torque boxes” to the rocker assy, and keeps your car from falling in two pieces if you race it. Originally this was braced up barely enough, and with the rust that gets in the seams it needs some help on most these cars. View attachment 413479
im going to just end up buying a half pan and welding it up. do these connecters really help that much is it something i sound look into? im not going to be drag racing or anything just hot rod around town.

·
Registered
302 Posts
This is not a cosmetic issue, it is a structural issue. You need to brace up this area with something substantial. What does the other side look like? What about the rocker assy? From the pictures of your profile, the rear area of the rocker on that side looks uneven.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is not a cosmetic issue, it is a structural issue. You need to brace up this area with something substantial. What does the other side look like? What about the rocker assy? From the pictures of your profile, the rear area of the rocker on that side looks uneven.
I was able to brace up before I put a floor pan in an its stronger them ever now. angle iron welded up an then the new pans welded in

1 - 11 of 11 Posts