Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a 1977 nova for sale locally minus motor, tranny, and shifter.

Here's the ad:
1977 nova hatchback. No engine or trans. Price is nogotiable depending on what u want with it. Car needs body work. Ill sell the car for 700 bucks without the rims and rearend.
Car has a rci fuel cell, hedman headers and full exhaust. recaro seats. All this will go with it for 700.

Rearend is a 8.5 10 bolt with new seals,bearings,richmond 488 gears,Rebuilt posi with new clutches have well over 1000 into rearend. Has origanal crager ss rims. I wanted with rearend and rims i want 1300 firm.
It does have power steering and the quarters are shot on the car. It's a 2.5" exhaust front to back. What will transfer over to my 1974 nova?
http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/8822128

Thing I'm particularily interested in:
Rear axle - I thought this would fit but a camaro friend of mine said its wider?
Rims - Back rims stick out. i want them to tuck so these will be sold.
Power Steering Setup?
Front Windshield?
Floor Boards?
Rear Bumper?

My intentions will be to part the vehicle out. I figure there should be enough parts there to make it worth while. He's asking $1300 but I'm thinking its worth about $1100? How does that sound?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The only thing I know of is the rear end, that would fit for sure. I would offer to buy just that, if that's all you want, I also have to believe with some time and searching you could probably find a 73-74 with some goodies on it for $2K or so. The 73 style really hasn't taken off price wise and this market is to your advantage.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Thing I'm particularily interested in:
Rear axle - I thought this would fit but a camaro friend of mine said its wider?
Like Taz said, the rearend will fit. The Nova rearends stayed the same width from 68 to 79. Camaro rearends on the other hand were widened in 1970. The early (67-69) Camaro rearends are the same width as 68-79 Novas.

Rims - Back rims stick out. i want them to tuck so these will be sold.
These would fit should you decide to use them. But you'd need to raise the rear suspension high enough to clear rims that stick out.

Power Steering Setup?
You could use the pump and mounting brackets (assuming both engines are the same type ... like both small blocks). You could also use the power steering box itself. The pitman arm and power steering hoses will be different though.

Front Windshield?
Sorry, this won't fit.

Floor Boards?
Yes, the floor boards (including the trunk floor) will fit. Although the amount of work necessary to cut out the floor boards might not be worth the trouble. The 73-up trunk floors aren't being reproduced so that would be worth salvaging if its any good.

Rear Bumper?
I think a 75-79 rear bumper might bolt onto a 74 but I doubt that it will mate up to the bumper-to-body filler panel very well. Especially in the center where the 74 bumper has a drop-down area to clear the licence plate / gas filler ... the 75-79 bumpers are straight across.

Some other parts that will interchange include:

- "shock absorber" bumper mounts (74 - 79)
- rear springs, mounting brackets, and shackles
- outside door handles
- rear side marker lights & bezels (front ones have a little different curvature but might still work)
- steering column (with a few modifications)
- front seat(s)
- non-AC style heater box (both inside & out) so long as both are non-AC cars
- AC style heater/evaporator setup might fit too (so long as both are AC cars)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Rear axle: yes, it will fit.

Power Steering Setup: The steering box is the same but you will need to use the 1974 pitman arm because 1974 Novas are rear steer while 1975-79 Novas are front steer. The pump will also work but you will need 1973-74 lines because the box is behind the front wheels and further away from the pump compared to the 1975-79 setup where the box is in front of the front wheels and closer to the pump.

Front Windshield: No. 1975-79 are taller

Floor Boards: yes. They are not exact but very close.

Rear Bumper: No. 1974 are unique. 1975-79 are all the same but different from 1973-74 Novas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts