Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Registered
870 Posts
Wow! Nice project! That's what I call a diamond in the rough! I've been missing out on all the excitement here it appears. I feel ashamed of myself for not checking in on SNS for so long... Great looking Pontiac. Keep up the good work!

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Wow! Nice project! That's what I call a diamond in the rough! I've been missing out on all the excitement here it appears. I feel ashamed of myself for not checking in on SNS for so long... Great looking Pontiac. Keep up the good work!
welcome back! thanks for peeking in. yea, a little bit of diamond, whole lotta rough. :LOL:

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
i have NEVER actually had a new engine or had one built by a professional this will be the first, as modest as it is. i always bought one that was proven (used) or did rings n bearings in some old truck engine and just ran em.

so, I've been collecting a few used parts and putting the little small block together. I also have been blowing up the inter webs with parts orders and got a few items in the mail.

i scored a vortec RPM intake from the builder who assembled my short block.
Is it poor taste to list the price of these used parts?
i just get a kick out of good low buck used parts and want to share the score! 100$ for the intake...

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Gas Wood

since the engine is going into a Pontiac i thought I'd go w throw back Pontiac blue engine color! intake prepped and painted. set on top to get a look.
Green Automotive design Azure Automotive tire Motor vehicle

also scored a brawler 650 double pumper w elect choke from fb marketplace, the guy was 2 streets over from my house!
200$ for the carb including cheesy air filter assembly...
Motor vehicle Bag Luggage and bags Auto part Automotive exterior

set on top to get a look... stock appearing 'tall' valve covers to clear the roller rockers.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Blue Tire Wheel

Howards Hyd Roller
Font Material property Parallel Circle Electric blue

Attachments

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
On a quest for a well built ready to run turbo 350, i responded to an add on FB Marketplace that took me to a warehouse in Gonzales LA. where i was able to pick up this well built unit and 2k stall converter for 500$. normally i would not pay that much for a transmission as you just cant tell what you are getting. Turns out though that the mixer is from this c10 that's in C&S Customs shop and is being upgraded to overdrive and fuel injection. The owner of C&S is also an engine builder and has done several engines over the years for my big brother who bracket races a couple of dragsters.
the Trans...
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

this is the truck that the trans was removed from. it is the shop owner's personal ride...
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

this was also lurking in shop...
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

my brother moving through the pits at NO Problem Raceway in Belle Rose LA in the blue car...
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Helmet

making a hit...
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

· Registered
2,565 Posts
It's great to see another Pontiac "Nova"! I have always been partial to Chevy but Pontiac styling is often pretty neat. Engine looks pretty--should run strong too! I love finding good parts cheap too! That has been a fun part of it for me over the years. 11 years ago a guy sold me my Performer 2101 for $20 and my flywheel for $35. Got my carb, bell housing and starter for $140--all still work great. Not just because of my limited budget but it's like a treasure hunt. :) Of course, some things I have paid a little too much for or found out I didn't really need... and other things I've just had to to bite the bullet and buy new. Thanks for sharing your progress.

PS--I like the Judge!

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
the car was previously repainted the original color but in base/clear, which has totally given out.
this was pretty much the condition of the hood, top and deck lid.
down here bare metal is rusty metal so i want to seal it up before pitting sets in.

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light

Attachments

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
i started out w 7 cans of fire thorn red mixed at ohreally auto
Paint Material property Tints and shades Packing materials Magenta

i figured two on the lid, two on top and three on the hood. spray can math.
over the door i tested a spot to see if i could get away with it. feeling lucky, we scuffed the panels w red scotch pads and wiped er down.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Attachments

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
after minimal back taping we covered the windows and chased that dry look with the spray spray
Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Wheel

in the rear more strategic back taping ,plenty of paint out over the top edge of the quarters and the c pillar blended into the quarter.
gloss showed up quickly where the base coat was still slick, mostly on the deck lid but dried flat enough...
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

It sealed well, n finished dry and flat. now ill buff it out for the next 3-5 years using only sunshine and a wash mit... re-patina
Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Wood

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
and just like that, the engine is out... it never touched the ground. I put it on fb marketplace and in less than two hrs a guy came from an hour away and for 250 I put it in his truck. he couldn't believe he had scored a complete 260 (and trans) lol... now that the nose is in the air its time to prep under the hood for the big car show (haha). since we are switching to buckets and adding a shifter we'll refurb the interior at the same time by refreshing the stock color on the plastic and recovering the headliner and adding carpet and a rear seat cover.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Working animal Asphalt

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
removed the wiper motor and scratched, primed and blacked out the firewall. executed SPA (strategic paint application) process including firewall, fender tops, hinges and core support.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Bumper Tire

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
moved to the inside of the firewall to drop the box and change the heater core. also installed the fan motor on the ac delete panel to dry fit
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

from ac delete .com
Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Helmet Alloy wheel

the old heater core was leaking and had taken a tole. so i prepped and treated the affected area w aerosol rust inhibitor. vacuumed the outside air inlet while in there.
Hood Electrical wiring Gas Cable Wood
Automotive lighting Hood Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

from under the hood you could see the problem area, so i broke out the silicone welder.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Train Bumper Automotive exterior

fixed...
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Light Blue Bicycle fork

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
core support got the rust inhibitor all over inside including under the batt tray which wasnt bad. then i shot black from the can w my point'n finger
Hood Sleeve Bumper Automotive exterior Chair
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

under the battery tray
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Sculpture

driver side
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

fin
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Wood Bumper

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bumper

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Looking good--making progress! Suggestion...if you want to do anything removing heater box heater core or any AC , repairs
it will be much easier now while engine is out
thank you sir. yes, the only thing i'm wishing about the ac stuff is that i would have pushed it all out of the passenger door into the garbage and gone with a plate.

as @xxdabroxx did on the olds...
Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

still may.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts