Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get rid of my leaf springs and get some coilovers all around but, 4th gens not having a huge aftermarket i can't find anything that converts the rear suspension to 4link or something like that, i have heard however that 1st gen f bodies share the same rear suspension, does this mean i could get a kit for one of those cars to fit on my 1975 nova? Or does anyone know where i can get a kit for my nova? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I am looking to get rid of my leaf springs and get some coilovers all around but, 4th gens not having a huge aftermarket i can't find anything that converts the rear suspension to 4link or something like that, i have heard however that 1st gen f bodies share the same rear suspension, does this mean i could get a kit for one of those cars to fit on my 1975 nova? Or does anyone know where i can get a kit for my nova? Thanks!
Fourth generation Novas (75-79) share suspension parts with the 2nd generation (70-81) F-bodies, not 1st gen's. Do a search for Pro-touring rear suspension for a mid-70's Camaro and see what you find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fourth generation Novas (75-79) share suspension parts with the 2nd generation (70-81) F-bodies, not 1st gen's. Do a search for Pro-touring rear suspension for a mid-70's Camaro and see what you find.
Thank You! I will do that!

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,077 Posts
Fourth generation Novas (75-79) share suspension parts with the 2nd generation (70-81) F-bodies, not 1st gen's.
That is true for most of the front suspension & steering components.

However, the 4th gen Nova rear suspension is nearly the same as 3rd gen Nova rear suspension. Which is in turn very similar to 1st gen F-body rear suspension.
2nd gen F-body cars on the other hand have slightly wider rear axles, wider spring perch spacing, and the rear subframe rails likely have a different shape.

A rear suspension conversion kit meant for a 3rd gen (68-74) Nova will most likely come closer to fitting than one meant for a 2nd gen F-body. But the shape of the Nova rear subframe rails changed slightly in 1974 due to the shock absorbing bumper mounts. And that shape remained the same up into the 75-79 years so you might run into some fitment issues as described in this thread --> http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421554

1 - 4 of 4 Posts