Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1975 Nova Custom Pro Street (Updates for 2013!)

I'm the next noob to try to make this place home, so I hope to begin on a good foot, and hope to learn alot more about the 4th Gen Nova.

Anyway, I felt the need to come in out of nowhere, and show off my 4th gen, but please be warned, I'm known to be long winded so bare with me;)

My car happens to be a 1975 Chevrolet Nova Custom. Originally fixed up by my Uncle back in 1984, it was ment to be an eighth mile bracket car. He wasn't exactly made of money, but he did nearly all the work himself.
He orginally dropped a 454cui Big Block bored .030 over, with a tunnel ram setup.
A built Turbo Hydro 400 from a Company known as "Transmission Specialties," and a Narrowed GM 10 bolt with 4:11 gears.
It was rumored for the longest time that, in this section of West Virginia, it was the very first car to get a tube job. I don't know how true this is, but I use it as bragging rights... lol

He never really did all that great in the 3 years he drove the car, due to rearend failures, and broken driveshafts, til he installed the narrowed Ford Nine with Strange Engineering axles, and heavy duty driveshaft.
The car was pretty strong then, but 1987 was a dreedful year...
Weeks after the racing season kicked in, he blew the 454. He biult another one but with a single plain intake and Nos Nitrous System, but was tragicly killed in a car wrech about a week after dropping the fresh 454 in the engine bay. He wasn't driving the Nova when he was killed.

My grandpa, who happens to be the father of my uncle kept the car in a garage under his Used Car business for 15 years after that, never to part with it, never to work on it... He was known to always say, "The business will fall on the car before it leaves it's spot."

Growing up, I have always loved the stories of my Uncle, and became a huge car buff as a result. The man was/is my hero, and his car was my dream car. I admired everything that man did, and inspired me to follow in his footsteps.

Well, after I had obtained my driver license, knowing that I wanted that car, my grandpa handed the keys to me... Well, little did I know at the time that 15 years is a long time for a car to sit, and with little knowledge I had working on cars, he figured, I couldnt do anything with it.

The summer afterwards, every dime I had made cutting grass, working in the hay feilds, and Birthday money, etc. went into the car. by the end of the summer, with my dad's and grandpa's help, I had that car rolling down the road for the first time in 15 years.... smoking, backfiring, stalling.... blew both mufflers clear off the momment I got back to my grandpa's lot... broke a piston in the process.... man was this car in bad shape.
but it was odd, because other than the engine being a complete waste when I got it, the rest of the car wasnt so bad. The transmission just leaked was all.

well, 7 years later the car is looking and running alot better. Spent 2 years alone rebuilding my 454, and til recently, the only body work needed is rust coming up through the white stripes on the hood, cowl, and trunk.

Finally, here are some pictures of what is now known to be "Chucky" named after my uncle.... and for the fact that it's an unpredictable car....

I need to take a better pic of the interior... this picture wass actually taken in 2004.

Here's a very short video I took recently of my car... Very mild exhaust compared to the overall look of the car IMO... I'll be uncapping the headers soon for my next video, so I promise that will sound better;)
The Nova was running alil off that day, due to sitting for some time, and running on lower grade pump gas. got a few more bugs to work out before I get it insured and licensed for the road.... hard to really mess with it now that I cant use my grandpa's dealer plates anymore. His business hasn't been doing so well in these times....

Here is what the car looked like before my Uncle Chuck fixed it up in 1984, the year I was born...

And, lastly, here is my uncle weeks before he was killed, working on his new 454.....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Great looking car. Video sounded good! Your uncle did a good job. Your engine work looks good too. I imagine that is a Mr Gasket shifter?

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
Welcome to the site, that is a beautiful 75 and the history of it is very interesting. I am sure your uncle would be very proud of what you have done with it.
How about a photo of the rear set up.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Welcome to the site and sorry about your uncle. At least you can enjoy something he put his blood sweat and tears in. That car is part of the family. I remember the car from www.novaresource.org. I always admired it on that website. I thought to myself...." man does that car look mean" every time I saw it

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's a nice looking car there. My first Nova was a 75 also. I wish I still had it. I had some different models, but the ones that you do most of the work yourself, mean more. Nice to see it still in the family. Like the others said, I'm sure your Uncle would be happy to see you enjoying it!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site. It's great to see your car has family history and you've kept it in great shape. I'm sure your uncle would be proud and am sure your family feels the same. Glad to see you've kept his spirit alive.

Jay

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great looking car. Video sounded good!
Yeah, I spent a good amount of money on the exhaust system, and am quite pleased with it overall.
I imagine that is a Mr Gasket shifter?
Yeah, after doing alil research, I found that my Mr Gasket V-Matic is basically an older version of the Hurst V-Matic II... Only difference between the two is, the Hurst obviously says "Hurst" on the T-Handle, instead of "Mr Gasket," and the Hurst has "V-Matic" imbossed down the side of the shifter. I'm a big fan of everything dealing with Hurst, so I was quite pleased with this. Seems to be a very good shifter.

Philip said:
How about a photo of the rear set up.
I never really took alot of pics of the rearend, because the underbody is alil rough. Car is alil rough around the edges. Rust aint so bad, but it still has alot of "painting" flaws from where I was using spray paint when I was younger... You know how kids can get when they want something cool to be cooler when their void of money. ;)
I do happen to have a shot taken back in 2004 that shows the diff. I took it because of the exhaust I had custom made.

I'm still using leaf springs and drum brakes, but I hope to someday update the suspension with four-links and disk brakes.... I have know idea what-so-ever what brand racing shocks those are... But they make for a decently soft ride.
The traction bars are from Compitition Engineering.

ChevyBelly said:
I remember the car from www.novaresource.org. I always admired it on that website. I thought to myself...." man does that car look mean" every time I saw it
Yes, that is a great site. I actually used that site once in highschool as one of the references for an Essay I did involving the history of the Chevy Nova.
Aced that paper! My teacher was very interested and pleased with the work I did... Even had a cool powerpoint presentation:D

I might have lied alil in that site though... Been awhile since I looked through it, but when I was younger I told some white lies about the car.... I wish it was half the car I made it out to be. Oh well, you live and learn.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yeah, after doing alil research, I found that my Mr Gasket V-Matic is basically an older version of the Hurst V-Matic II... Only difference between the two is, the Hurst obviously says "Hurst" on the T-Handle, instead of "Mr Gasket," and the Hurst has "V-Matic" imbossed down the side of the shifter. I'm a big fan of everything dealing with Hurst, so I was quite pleased with this. Seems to be a very good shifter.
Hurst bought Mr Gasket shifters in late 80's I think, shortly after I bought mine. I love the operation, however I am changing it for my console install.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hurst bought Mr Gasket shifters in late 80's I think, shortly after I bought mine. I love the operation, however I am changing it for my console install.
Interesting news... This means that the shifter I have may be one of the last Mr Gasket models. Thought about changing the T-Handle to a Hurst handle, but now I might just keep the Mr Gasket.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Hey Chuck nice car, I too tubbed my car with leaf springs, Mine was my Dads and he bought it new and i bought it in 79,Mine is a 1976 ,I run 14 inch wide rims and have since 89 and love it below is rear shot of it

And like you I too used to have a snorkal scoop but did away with it

Below is what it looks like now

Welcome to the site and glad to see more forth gens, oh how wide a rim you got on back and what size tires

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the site and glad to see more forth gens, oh how wide a rim you got on back and what size tires
Thats a nice 76 you have there. I enjoy the American Racing TT IIs.

The rear tires are Mickey Thomspon Sportsmans 33x19.50 15LTs
The rims I believe are 15x16s...

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
The pic with the weld wheels on my car and snorkel it had 33X19.5 on it, Mickys, The hoosiers are 31X18.5 but are same in all ways when compared to the mickys I had

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The pic with the weld wheels on my car and snorkel it had 33X19.5 on it, Mickys, The hoosiers are 31X18.5 but are same in all ways when compared to the mickys I had
Your saying that your updated Hoosiers are the same size as the Mickeys, even though they're supposed to be 2 inches shorter, and an inch skinnier? That would be kinda cool to have a set of Hoosiers like yours and a set of American Racing Torque Thrust D rims with the black satan finish in the exact sizes as my A/R Anson Sprint A69s aka Slots.

What are your wheel and tire sizes/brands, front and back? I wouldnt mind having the same setup if I can get away from gaps that wont look bad.. I was kinda afraid that my choices would be very limited because of the amount of space cut out to make room for such a big tire. I honestly believed that The M/T Sportsmans and Sportman Pros were my only choices.

BTW: I really love your Pro Street. the ex-ed chrome with all that black really looks better than I would have thought. Your rims give it a look that is hard to be compared with any other color combination.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, made another video, this time with the headers uncapped.
It's a small lot right beside the mainroad, so I couldn't really go all out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, I'm saving up as much as I can in the next few months, and here's why.
I'm shooting for a set of these babies.
Hoosier Pro Street Directional Radials.

After doing some price checking, I found that it's not only going to make my car drive alil nicer, and look cooler, but these are going to be cheaper than the M/T Sportsmans, due to the fact that I'd need to buy new tubes for the M/Ts aswell, which runs a good 82 bucks each.

After I get new tires, It's time to move on to the paint....
Sadly, rust is starting to come up through the hood, cowl, and trunk, and guess where?
The white pearl..... It's starting to get pretty bad, and is actually starting to chip away.

On the look out for local body shops who will do a good job, and be reasonable with their pricing.
I'll have the white strips repainted with Cadillac's White Diamond (Tri-Coat) thats found on Caddy's Platinum Edition cars.
I believe the paint code is 98/WA800J, but I'm not sure. only found one site that gave the code. here

EDIT: I may have to do some more research on the color. I dont think it's White Diamond that I'm looking for because what I remember seeing it was a very special paint. It was a very deep White Pearl with reds, blues, and greens in it. Real beautiful paint. I've only seen this color on Special Edition Cadillacs and Buicks.

White Diamond seems to have more of an egg-shell white with alil pearl in it.

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
82 Posts
WOW, just got around to reading Chucky's story.

You should be proud of yourself, I am sure your uncle is.

Beautiful ride!

Was that car an SS originally? Looks like it to me from the original pics, particularly the steering wheel. And it looks like the factory gauges were stock too, right?

Nice job- give us and update when you get a chance.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts