Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1975 Custom: Needs Some Work

Hey everybody. My name is Glyn and I just got my first car from my parents, a 1975 Nova Custom, and its in bad shape. I think it might be on its last leg. I have no experience working on cars and I don't have a clue at what I'm doing.

I guess Ill start easy, or what I think might be easy. My speedometer/odometer doesn't work. Where does the cable come out and where does it connect to the transmission? I have tried looking for it but I just don't know where to look. Also my door buzzer is always on when the door is open even if the keys aren't in the ignition. Is that normal, I don't think so.

Sorry to start asking simple questions so soon but I guess you have to start somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
12,028 Posts
The speedometer cable is attached to the transmission on the passenger side near the back where the driveshaft is. It can be unscrewed and turned by hand to see if the speedometer will move. If it does then the cable and speedo are good and and it may have a stripped gear, but that isn't real hard to change. If nothing happens then the cable may be bad. The door buzzer contacts in the steering column are stuck colsed. Sometimes it can be caused by a faulity ignition lock cylinder. It can be disabled by disconnecting the wire at one of 3 places, the buzzer location, the steering column or the door switch.

BTW it is a nice looking car, why did you delete the threads with the photos?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next is something more serious than a broken speedometer. Lately, last week, the engine has started shuttering once it gets warmed up. You can only really feel it through the steering column, passenger side doesn't really feel it too bad. My dad thinks it could be either bad gasoline, spark plugs, or the timing belt. Any opinions? If its going to blow up I don't want to spend too much money on it. :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts