Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys, I've recently been running into a bunch of electrical issues with my Nova. It's specifically (as it says in the title) a 1975 Chevrolet Nova Custom that has been upgraded from a 262 small block, to a 383 stroker. I'll try to do a run-down of what I'm needing to do.

As a side note, I'm doing this as I can't work due to Crohn's Disease and my only income is from doing 3D modeling on Patreon for video games. So, I'd like to make the most educated choice I can before I make any purchases. You guys haven't steered me wrong yet.

Wiring harness/fuse box? - To my understanding I need to purchase a new wiring harness as my alternator is brand new (a week old) and the wiring is factory. I've been having issues with my generator like flashing while going over bumps but, it usually stops when I'm on smooth road. I believe the cabling is going bad, so I'd like to replace it. I contacted American Auto Wire (after reading some posts on here) but, I'd like to get some more input before I spend what very little money I have. I also need to replace that block under the steering column where all the wires plug-in. I'm not sure of the proper name of it.

Turn signals/reverse lights - So, the actual sockets are in pretty bad shape. Heavily corroded and rusted and obviously a source of some of my electrical problems. I need to replace these but, I'd really like to upgrade to LED's and hopefully something much brighter for reverse lights, so it's easier to see out the rear window at night, they're just too dim, even when I originally got it 11 years ago. Is there anything special I need to do to upgrade to LED's? Do I need to replace the blinker relay with a LED friendly relay? Is there wiring kits that I can purchase to replace these? Is it possible to do the wiring yourself? I know how to crimp and all that and some of the kits I've see are very expensive for me.

Dash - I'd like to upgrade the dash lights to LED's as well but, I've not yet opened up the dash. I don't have the garage space to safely store my interior parts. Is it a difficult process to open the dash and replace those lights with LED's? Is there anything special I have to do for this?

Windshield wipers - No real issues with them but, I live in Washington state, king of the drizzle rain and whopping two settings of fast and ludicrous speed for the wipers are just too fast. Is there an upgrade I can do that'd allow me to have slower settings for the wipers? Possibly like an intermittent? This is mostly just a quality of life improvement so I don't have to keep leaning over to click the wiper on and then off when I need the wipers intermittently.

Stereo - So, I have an aftermarket stereo and it has nothing but, electrical issues. It has the worse time trying to actually stay on. I think I just need to replace it but, I'd like your guys' input first. I have a lot of issues with interior moisture and what not. I need to get a new headliner, door seals, trunk seal, and felt strips for the car. I was also at looking at getting new/non-paper water seals for the door panels. There's a bunch of other things I need to get but, I need to work on the interior water protection because, right now without a headliner and that cardboard like thing that was behind it, it sorta rains in my car during with with condensation clinging to the roof.

I was primarily looking at this Ecklers and CarID website for purchasing my products. If you know of any sites that are better than these two and cheaper, that'd be very thankful.

Thank you ahead of time for any help you may provide. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for all of this but, Crohn's Disease is a... less than preferable disease. If anyone happens to be in the Kitsap County, Washington area that may be able to lend a hand as well, I'd love to have someone that knows classic cars and is an enthusiast such as myself. Just a bunch of imports around here...

Take care and thank you again,
~Mike

·
Registered
301 Posts
Turn signals/reverse lights - So, the actual sockets are in pretty bad shape. Heavily corroded and rusted and obviously a source of some of my electrical problems. I need to replace these but, I'd really like to upgrade to LED's and hopefully something much brighter for reverse lights, so it's easier to see out the rear window at night, they're just too dim, even when I originally got it 11 years ago. Is there anything special I need to do to upgrade to LED's? Do I need to replace the blinker relay with a LED friendly relay? Is there wiring kits that I can purchase to replace these? Is it possible to do the wiring yourself? I know how to crimp and all that and some of the kits I've see are very expensive for me.
Not sure on all your questions, but you may try 2357 bulbs. See this HAMB post. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-lite-brighter-1157-bulbs.247879/
They are brighter. You could also try LED 1157 compatible ones. We tried one brand but they did not fit in the socket properly so returned them back to AutoZone. I think it depends on the brand as to how well they fit in the socket.
If your sockets are corroded, the simple fix is to replace them. You can also try fine grit sand paper to clean up the terminals inside. Dorman makes the sockets...available almost every parts store...here is a link:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-85830

1 - 2 of 2 Posts