Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '74 Nova Custom needs its entire trunk floor replaced and apparently nobody makes replacements for them. I found two listings on eBay for complete trunk floor w/braces for 1968-72. Both of them say they will fit 1974. Is this true or are they just making stuff up?

What is the difference between '68-'72 and '73-'74 trunk floors?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
723 Posts
It won't fit, gas tank hump for our 73-74 gas tanks, won't align with tailight panel also I believe and just by looking at the "68-72" full AMD trunk pan all the outer area is different also. There is no reproduction yet for our 73-74 trunk pans

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts
Dynacorn has a pan labeled as 73-74 and it's just the center section but even that is for previous years as there is no hump

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
I agree with ramportin1 ... a 68-72 trunk floor won't be a direct fit in a 73-74.

The 73-74 gas tank has a 21 gallon capacity while 68-72 were 18. That extra capacity comes in the form of a raised up hump on the passenger side of the tank, which also requires a corresponding hump in the trunk floor. And the filler neck was raised up higher (above the bumper vs. behind the bumper). So that changes the shape of the tail panel & trunk floor in that area as well.

To use a 68-72 trunk floor in a 73-74 you would also have to change over to a 68-72 gas tank and associated parts (sending unit, mounting straps, etc.). And either change over to a 68-72 tail panel & rear bumper, or do some custom work to retain the stock gas filler location.

One potential source for a replacement 73-74 trunk floor would be to cut one from a donor car. They're the same for all body styles (2-door, Hatchback, and 4-door). Although the Hatchback ones have some extra brackets welded on to support the load floor and are more apt to be rusted out due to leaky weatherstripping. And you might also want to look at 4th gen (75-79) X-body donor cars as well. The trunk floor in those years is very similar to 73-74 and looks as though it will fit without any major modifications.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yep did that "spot weld" Blair cutting thing for a while. Simply not enough meat on the bone to justify the work. There was a 'flurry" of cars in the El Paso u Pull Its 8-12 years ago, they're all gone now. There might be an AzChevs type of individual, out there, somewhere, in the southwest, doing that sort of thing on X bodies.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
From what i gather w the 73 n novas, they use 75 thru 9 trunk pans ( anyone can correct me if i am wrong ). I can cheque w a friend that collects these vehicles ( 68 thru 74s ) and see at what he has available. Just pm me with any other parts you may be looking for . . . ( have a nack in finding things )

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
From what i gather w the 73 n novas, they use 75 thru 9 trunk pans ( anyone can correct me if i am wrong ).
Yes, as I mentioned in my earlier reply, the 75 - 79 trunk floor is very similar to the 73 - 74 trunk floor. There are some subtle differences in the stampings, but nothing I can see that would prevent them from being a suitable replacement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts