Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1974 Nova Custom Hatchback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning,

I've been a long time reader but this is my first post. You guys are so thorough that I've always been able to find all of the answers to my questions, until now.

My 74 was missing the rear bumper when I purchased it and now I'm finding that there is more missing than I thought. It seems that a piece (bracket?) that runs the entire length of the rear of the car that the bumper bolts to is missing. I emailed Northwest Nova's and although they were very helpful, they told me that part isn't reproduced.

Are there any work arounds to get the bumper bolted on? Maybe using brackets from another year that are reproduced? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Car

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
1,776 Posts
Welcome!

As you have discovered, you are missing a few parts to mount your bumper. Here is a diagram of the 1974 rear bumper & mounting components --> GMPartsWiki - Illustration Catalog P&A 11A October 1976 There were originally a couple of impact absorbing mounts (#24 on the diagram) that bolt into those two large holes on the back of the car. And an inner reinforcement beam (#6 on the diagram) that bolts inside the rear bumper and connects it to those mounts.

The 1973 Nova rear bumpers did attach directly to the car with brackets, but unfortunately I don't think those are being reproduced either. And the shape of the rear bumper (and bolt locations) were changed a bit between 73 & 74 so they wouldn't be a direct fit without modifications anyway.

So one option would be to look around for a good used 74 GM X-body rear bumper inner reinforcement beam. You could probably skip hunting down the impact absorbing mounts ... I believe it's possible to bolt the reinforcement beam directly to the back of the car (maybe with some spacers and/or re-drilled holes) ... I've seen it done that way to tuck the bumper in closer to the body. And even if you come across a reinforcement beam that has rust damage you could probably still use it as long as the mounting areas are solid (I've seen them cut down to just the mounting areas as a way to reduce weight). The other option would be to fabricate a couple of homemade mounts.

·
Registered
1974 Nova Custom Hatchback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide so much incredibly helpful information. I didn't even know what the proper term was for the part that I was looking for. Now I at least know what I'm looking for rather than saying, "I'm pretty sure I'm missing part of the back of my car..."

Thanks again my friend!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts