Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Welcome. I had the same set up in 68 nova. With the 3:73. Your RPM’s are going to rev hi what I did put Tranny with over drive cleared up problem. Then you have best of both worlds could still drag / Cruise
[/QUOTEthank yo
Welcome. I had the same set up in 68 nova. With the 3:73. Your RPM’s are going to rev hi what I did put Tranny with over drive cleared up problem. Then you have best of both worlds could still drag / Cruise
Thank you, it seems like my best option is going to be installing a 200r4. From everything I can find its pretty cake work. Any idea if I'll have to change the current gearing and stall converter or maybe It would run well with what I have?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Swapping from a turbo 350 to a 2004R.... or a 700r4 is pretty straight forward and not much of a headache at all.
Both overdrives bolt right up to the engine, same flywheel, you will need a new torque converter, and will have to purchase a new trans crossmember (with a 2004R)... or shorten the driveshaft (with a 700r4). You can also retain your trans cooler lines (with some slight bending at the trans). You will need a TV cable and the correct geometry corrector bracket. You may also need a new shifter (depends on what you currently have).
Just do a search on 2004R... or 700r4 swap into a 3rd gen Nova or a 1st gen Camaro (nearly same procedures for both models). There's a lot of useful information out there. I (along with other members on this forum) will also be glad to answer any questions that may come up during the swap.

If you do go this route, try to purchase an overdrive transmission from a reputable builder that can make recommendations based on your horsepower and driving goals.
Thank you, a 200r4 swap seems like the best option and not crazy expensive. You mentioned changing the converter, so the current stall converter wont do? And do you know if the current 3.73 gearing would be alright or would you say it would have to be changed as well? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Didn’t mention I used 700R4 2800 stall converter
Thank you, it seems like my best option is going to be installing a 200r4. From everything I can find its pretty cake work. Any idea if I'll have to change the current gearing and stall converter or maybe It would run well with what I have?
i would try it with what you have save your money see how it works together it maybe ok . If not give a shout out will try to help you out

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thank you, a 200r4 swap seems like the best option and not crazy expensive. You mentioned changing the converter, so the current stall converter wont do? And do you know if the current 3.73 gearing would be alright or would you say it would have to be changed as well?
The stall converter for the Turbo 350 trans will not work/fit in the 2004R trans. I highly recommend to stay away from "off the shelf" torque converters. The wrong converter set-up/construction can ruin how your car "feels". Get a custom built converter that is assembled for your car's drivetrain. I went with an Edge Racing Converter - "Street Edge" 2800 stall and couldn't be happier. It feels nice and tight from a normal start and cruising... but you know the stall is there when you mash the gas.
I also used the gForce crossmember when swapping the 2004R into my 74 Nova. It is well constructed and has plenty of clearance for dual exhaust.

I would not change your 3.73 gearing. With the .67 overdrive gear of the 2004R and a 26" dia rear tire (plus a lock-up converter), you will be around 2250 rpm @ 70 mph.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The stall converter for the Turbo 350 trans will not work/fit in the 2004R trans. I highly recommend to stay away from "off the shelf" torque converters. The wrong converter set-up/construction can ruin how your car "feels". Get a custom built converter that is assembled for your car's drivetrain. I went with an Edge Racing Converter - "Street Edge" 2800 stall and couldn't be happier. It feels nice and tight from a normal start and cruising... but you know the stall is there when you mash the gas.
I also used the gForce crossmember when swapping the 2004R into my 74 Nova. It is well constructed and has plenty of clearance for dual exhaust.
View attachment 399555
I would not change your 3.73 gearing. With the .67 overdrive gear of the 2004R and a 26" dia rear tire (plus a lock-up converter), you will be around 2250 rpm @ 70 mph.
Hey thank you so much for your time, I couldn't have asked for better advise. This is definitely the route I'll take, seems pretty straightforward. How did you go about adjusting the TV cable?

·
Registered
210 Posts
View attachment 399555
I have that same crossmember, I was going to make one but that thing was so beefy and had so much clearance I couldn’t pass it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
810 Posts
How did you go about adjusting the TV cable?
It depends on what type of TV cable you have. There is a "stock" (self adjusting) type of TV cable and a "Universal Fit" TV cable (I am using the universal fit TV cable). Along with the TV cable, you will probably need a geometry corrector bracket depending on the brand of carb you are using (Note: Some of the newer Holley and Quick Fuel carbs already have the correct TV geometry designed into their throttle bracket as shown in the photo below).

In a nutshell... After connecting the one end of the TV cable to the trans, you want to confirm that you have the other end of the TV cable pulled out to its farthest/tightest position when it is attached to the TV Geometry Corrector Bracket and the carb is at "Full Throttle" position.

On the universal fit TV cable, there is a "wire stop" fitting that can slide between the end of the TV cable and the fitting on the TV cable that attaches to the carb's geometry corrector bracket. The TV cable shown in the photo below has not been adjusted yet (P.S... I want to thank J Mark for the image that I copied below).

With the engine OFF...
1- Attach the TV Cable Attachment to geometry corrector on throttle bracket.
2 - Push the throttle to "Full Open" position and hold in this position.
3 - At "Full Open" throttle, pull on the end of the TV cable until you are not able to pull it any further (tight with no slack). Note: The TV cable will slide thru the TV attachment piece.
4 - While pulling the TV cable as described above, slide the Wire Stop up against the TV Attachment piece and tighten the screw on the Wire Stop to hold the TV cable in place.
5 - Release the throttle.
That's it!
To confirm TV cable adjustment, push throttle back to the "Full Open" position and pull on the end of the TV cable. While pulling on the end of the TV cable, the Sliding Wire Stop should not pull away from the TV Cable Attachment piece.

If you have a "stock" (self adjusting) type of TV cable, the adjustment procedures are different... and may be included with the cable. The "stock" (self adjusting) type of TV cable is normally identified by a "D" shaped button that is located on the housing at the end of the sheaved cable (see photo below).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It depends on what type of TV cable you have. There is a "stock" type of TV cable and a "Universal Fit" TV cable (I am using the universal fit TV cable). Along with the TV cable, you will probably need a geometry corrector bracket depending on my type of carb you are using (Note: Some of the newer Holley and Quick Fuel carbs already have the correct TV geometry designed into their throttle bracket as shown in the photo below).

In a nutshell... After connecting the one end of the TV cable to the trans, you want to confirm that you have the other end of the TV cable pulled out to its farthest/tightest position when it is attached to the TV Geometry Corrector Bracket and the carb is at "Full Throttle" position.

On the universal fit TV cable, there is a "wire stop" fitting that can slide between the end of the TV cable and the fitting on the TV cable that attaches to the carb's geometry corrector bracket. The TV cable shown in the photo below has not been adjusted yet (P.S... I want to thank J Mark for the image that I copied below).
View attachment 399560
1- Attach the TV Cable Attachment to geometry corrector on throttle bracket.
2 - Push the throttle to "Full Open" position and hold in this position.
3 - At "Full Open" throttle, pull on the end of the TV cable until you are not able to pull it any further (piano string tight). Note: The TV cable will slide thru the TV attachment piece.
4 - While pulling the TV cable as described above, slide the Wire Stop up against the TV Attachment piece and tighten the screw on the Wire Stop to hold the TV cable in place.
That's it!
That's fantastic man, thank you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum and new to the Nova, just need some input if anyone can help. '74 350, 30 over, big cam, 373 gearing and I believe the original 350 trans. I was told when I bought the car the gears were swapped from a 4.10 to a 3.73 ratio so it will ride easy at highway speeds, because of the engine work. Finally got the car on the road, has trouble going in to gear at times but shifts fine, but the RPMs seem wound pretty tight just at 50 mph. Could this be a mechanical issue or is the trans/gearing ratio just all wrong? Thanks for any help!
Should shift twice to use Hi. Fairly easy to ck axle ratio with floor jack . Ck online for info re posi or 'open' diff . 'Trouble going into gear' could low fluid [or worse]. Start diag by elimating 'unknowns'. 3.73 axle 26in tall tyre spins motor approx 3600 @ 70 mph. A little buzzy , but livable til Overdrive trans installed . [3.73 axle is ideal for any overdrive trans]

·
Registered
810 Posts
That's fantastic man, thank you!
Glad I was able to help!
Good luck with this project and feel free to ask any additional question that may arise.

P.S. Below is a link to a discussion that details some specs of the 2004R / 700R4 Geometry Corrector Bracket (same geometry corrector bracket is used for both transmissions).
The discussion does get kinda technical, but you may find that some of the information shown is useful in selecting the correct Geometry Corrector Bracket.

·
Registered
90 Posts
where can we get that TV cable and Bracketry? I've got a similar issue in that My TV cable is probably bad and the geometry was FUBAR and wouldn't work properly. Hence it's disconnected and I hand down-shift.

·
Registered
810 Posts
where can we get that TV cable and Bracketry? I've got a similar issue in that My TV cable is probably bad and the geometry was FUBAR and wouldn't work properly. Hence it's disconnected and I hand down-shift.
Are you asking about a TV cable?... or a detent cable? What type of transmission do you have?
If you disconnect your TV cable from an automatic overdrive transmission (2004R, 700R4) and continue to drive the car, you will burn up the clutches very quickly.

But... to answer your question, you can purchase TV cables and bracketry from places like Summit, Jegs, Ebay, etc.

·
Registered
702 Posts
How did you go about adjusting the TV cable?
If you will put a constant pressure valve body in the only thing the TV cable will be doing is deciding where the car shifts. I wasn't familiar with TV cable adjustment so decided to eliminate future problems. I have a 700r4 with 3.55 gears and my car gets 16 mpg with a 385 engine. It has a healthy hydraulic roller with aluminum heads. My TCI constant pressure valve body came with a vacuum switch to lock the converter. All you have to do is run a hot wire and ground along with a vacuum line and when the car shifts into OD the converter locks. It stays locked until the transmission downshifts. If you decide on a 700r4 you want the one with the 30 spline input shaft. I am running a off the shelf converter. It is a FTI street brawler. We have three of them in different cars and are happy with all of them. It cost around 250-300. Sorry, I don't know anything about the 200r transmission but have heard good things about them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum and new to the Nova, just need some input if anyone can help. '74 350, 30 over, big cam, 373 gearing and I believe the original 350 trans. I was told when I bought the car the gears were swapped from a 4.10 to a 3.73 ratio so it will ride easy at highway speeds, because of the engine work. Finally got the car on the road, has trouble going in to gear at times but shifts fine, but the RPMs seem wound pretty tight just at 50 mph. Could this be a mechanical issue or is the trans/gearing ratio just all wrong? Thanks for any help!
Tire height has a pretty big impact on RPM. Do you have 14" tires? I faced the same thing. The difference is I have a 4spd manual with 1:1 final gear. I changed to 3.73 gears and a 275 60 15 (28") tire. My RPM is now 2700 at 60 mph.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Tire height has a pretty big impact on RPM. Do you have 14" tires? I faced the same thing. The difference is I have a 4spd manual with 1:1 final gear. I changed to 3.73 gears and a 275 60 15 (28") tire. My RPM is now 2700 at 60 mph.
I have 15's

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have 15's
It's more about the diameter of the rear tires.... not the wheels that is used to help determine cruising rpms.
Below are a couple links to help determine tire diameter based on tire specs.

The link below is a calculator used to determine various cruising rpms based on tire diameter and differential ratios.
Note: Be sure to change KPH to MPH next to the "Calculate" button (in USA).
Change the information as needed.
Thanks to Redrider66SS for posting the above website!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don’t know if this site has been suggested yet but it’s awesome. Put in your trans, tire size and current vs suggested ratio and it will give you all sorts of data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, Jim. In my opinion, changing your rear end ratio is less costly and will give you a good compromise. Your Nova has a 8.5 10 bolt rear. Changing to a 3.08 gear will yield better drivability - and increased fuel mileage. As an added bonus, installing a high energy 268 cam and lifter set will give you the best bang for your buck. Given your 8.5:1 compression ratio, this cam and rear gear will make your Nova fun to drive and still have the sound of a nice cam. Best of luck with the '74.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hi, Jim. In my opinion, changing your rear end ratio is less costly and will give you a good compromise. Your Nova has a 8.5 10 bolt rear. Changing to a 3.08 gear will yield better drivability - and increased fuel mileage. As an added bonus, installing a high energy 268 cam and lifter set will give you the best bang for your buck. Given your 8.5:1 compression ratio, this cam and rear gear will make your Nova fun to drive and still have the sound of a nice cam. Best of luck with the '74.
Not sure of what cam is already in it but I'd rather not dig in to the engine to create a happy median

21 - 40 of 54 Posts