Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone! Me and my Dad are restoring a 1974 Chevrolet Nova 350. Now this is my first car and I love this car already even though it's not even nearly close to being done. It had the normal quarter panel, wheel well and fender rot. But it is a mostly original car with the original engine and interior. It's a non a/c car (for now) and has 51,XXX miles (not sure on the exact number) but the underbody is completely solid. Only two previous owners. (A little old lady who garaged it and and a Middle aged man who also kept it garaged) So by now I'm pretty sure you tired of me talking so i'll post some pics of how it looked like when we bought it and where were up to right now.
When Bought:
sorry about the crappy picture but it's the only one

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so we started repairing the passenger side quarter, wheel well, trunk drop-off. Here we started punching through the spot wields in all the panels and cut off part of the outer well to make it more accessible.

here we got most of the wheel well off

Then when we went to install the new outer wheel well we had to fabricate a piece of the inner wheel well since it was rusted up so we took a piece of the old quarter and played with it and got it to fit. Then when it came to the outer wheel wells. We had a pair of NOS ones so we knew they would fit perfect we fitted it up and made sure it fit. Put body panel bond (no heat, no warping, no rust, plus the stuff holds better then welding) on the outer wheel well and the inner and zip screwed it in and waited for it to set up and then the outer is on. But we did have to butt weld the trunkdrop off to the old one since we don't have an NOS full quarter for the passenger side

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Looking good:yes: Keep us updated on the progress.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now for the actual quarter repair. For the passenger side we were unable to get a full NOS quarter so we had to buy a repop and section it. What we did was we cut out the old panel with a saw and cut up the new panel with the same saw. We flanged the area were the new panel was going to be installed to minimize the need of body filer. So we took the new panel already cut to size and applied body filler to the quarter, wheel well and body of the car fit up the panel and pop riveted it to the body of the car to make sure it stayed close to the body while it bonds over the next day and a half. So we came back the next day and drilled the rivets out and filled it with more body panel bond as it also acts as a seam sealer.

In the end it fit the old panel like a glove you can't even feel where the old panel meets the new one. I'm really happy with the way that turned out now next weekend were working on the tailpanel as the car was in an accident at some point and the people who fixed it did a bad job (so much body filler) theres crows feet all over the tailpanel and it need a new trunk lid, along with a new driver door. So we were able to pick up an NOS tailpanel, and a new driver door all that's left for the body is to find a trunk lid as we have all the other parts we need.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Sweet find. I wish mine had a good dash like yours. Mine only had 43K miles and was also owned by a little old lady that kept it in a garage. But the second owner ripped out the original 6cyl and replaced it with a 454 along with hacking up the dash to fit a stereo head unit.

You say you bonded the panels together with panel bond rather than weld. Now I'm no expert but from what i have researched, panel bond may not be ideal. It is said that over time, the expansion and contraction of the two panels will cause cracking or form an impression of the repair in the future as the two panels react to heat and cold. Example would be if the car is parked out in the sun, and the sun is beating on the repair, it will eventually show up as cracks in the future.

The main problem with the repair is the fact that the seams are in the middle of a body panel (Quarter panel) as opposed to at a seam or end of a panel. Its more visable if a problem happens due to expansion and shrinking of glue in the center of a panel.

Why not weld? You did a flange so welding would be pretty easy. As long as the metal is prepped you will not have issues with rust in the future. Though I know it would be time consuming, the repair would be much more sound as there will be no difference in materials between the repair. It would expand and contract together.

Looking forward to following the build!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nice work . Not to disappoint you, yes the panel bond is almost asstrong as welding but will get a "ghost" line in the seam were the panel bond is, and will show in the final results. Panel bond isnt ment to solely hold cars together there has to be some welds there too. Just trying to give some professionial advice not trying to rain on your paraide:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet find. I wish mine had a good dash like yours. Mine only had 43K miles and was also owned by a little old lady that kept it in a garage. But the second owner ripped out the original 6cyl and replaced it with a 454 along with hacking up the dash to fit a stereo head unit.

You say you bonded the panels together with panel bond rather than weld. Now I'm no expert but from what i have researched, panel bond may not be ideal. It is said that over time, the expansion and contraction of the two panels will cause cracking in the future as the two panels react to heat and cold. Example would be if the car is parked out in the sun, and the sun is beating on the repair, it will eventually show up as cracks in the future.

Why not weld? You did a flange so welding would be pretty easy. As long as the metal is prepped you will not have issues with rust in the future. Though I know it would be time consuming, the repair would be much more sound as there will be no difference in materials between the repair. It would expand and contract together.

Looking foward to following the build!
Thanks but I'm not to sure about that most cars today use the stuff instead of wielding and that's what one of my Dad's friends who's a body shop guy (we're on the mechanical end) said to do. Well it's getting covered with body filler anyway

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice work . Not to disappoint you, yes the panel bond is almost asstrong as welding but will get a "ghost" line in the seam were the panel bond is, and will show in the final results. Panel bond isnt ment to solely hold cars together there has to be some welds there too. Just trying to give some professionial advice not trying to rain on your paraide:)
Thank you, seems I was wrong. I gotta think off an idea for what i want to do now

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Thanks but I'm not to sure about that most cars today use the stuff instead of wielding and that's what one of my Dad's friends who's a body shop guy (we're on the mechanical end) said to do. Well it's getting covered with body filler anyway
The fact that body shops usually make most of their money on production cars and most people do not keep cars long enough to worry about "Show" quality repairs, Id say it would be fine for those scenarios in my opinion.

So the fact that you are spending the time to restore the Nova which means that you want to keep it forever... (so to speak) Its just something to think about concerning the type of repair you are using for said tasks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fact that body shops usually make most of their money on production cars and most people do not keep cars long enough to worry about "Show" quality repairs, Id say it would be fine for those scenarios in my opinion.

So the fact that you are spending the time to restore the Nova which means that you want to keep it forever... (so to speak) Its just something to think about concerning the type of repair you are using for said tasks.
Yea of course I want keep it forever but also make sure it doesn't rust that's why we elected to go with panel bond. I'll probably just end up welding it too

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Yea of course I want keep it forever but also make sure it doesn't rust that's why we elected to go with panel bond. I'll probably just end up welding it too

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
When I did my rust repair patch on my qtr panel, after I finished welding I sprayed the inside of the qtr with rubberized undercoating. Than after it flashed I sparayed black enamel paint over it.
After doing the epoxy primer, whatever I had left over I just misted in the trunk.

You can access the qtr panel from the trunk and from the rear passenger window area. I fabricated a straw to use on enamel spray cans and undercoating spray cans to get to those hard to reach areas. I also did the roof and sail panels as far back as I could. As long as you prep the metal as best as you could, you can prevent the worries of rust.

I was a bit anal with trying to keep out rust on my Nova. I did everypart imaginable.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok here's a couple pictures of the finished panel.

What we decided to do is when it get's time for body work (body filler, blasting, etc.) were going to tack it in a couple places use tiger hair to get into all the little crevice then grind that off and that should stop the ghosting over time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Then on Saturday we started with the tailpanel. First to get the bumper off we had to take 4 nuts off each side of the bracket holding the bumper too the car.

Once we got that off we had to take a ratchet and get the side markers and tail lights out of the panel. Then we got a saw and cut the big pieces of the panel off so it would be easier to drill out the spot wields. Then we chiseled off the rest of the metal since we drilled out the spot wields.
And here's a picture of our new panel
NOS tail panel.
Then we started to fit the panel and it ended up fitting pretty good so we left it like this
. Our only concern is that the driver side panel got knocked in when it got hit and wasn't properly fixed so when we fix the driver side we will fit up and install the tailpanel.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow, this car looks so much like mine used to before we replaced the panels! Mine just has a white top, however we'll be changing it to black.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
YOU'RE MAKIN' PROGRESS, KEEP IT GOIN'! KEEP US UPDATED TOO! :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As another Saturday comes and goes we have more progress. Today we started cutting out the driver side panel.

So turns out the car was originally white even then the door jams and everything are the current color so someone went through the trouble of taking it apart without restoring it to paint it right which makes no sense they even bought the factory trim which looks exactly like this http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3482502432.html
Well anyway after drilling out many many many spot wields we got to this point at the end of the day

·
Registered
15 Posts
Then we start comparing and fitting up the replacement NOS Quarter and then we realize it doesn't have this trunk lip

Heres the panel

It's a hatchback quarter :mad:
So we came up with a solution the roof line should be the same (can anyone confirm this?) so we can just cut off the quarter but leave the trunk lip. cut off the smaller lip of the the new panel put the new panel in place and wield it to the old trunk lip but this all hinges on the roof line being the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts