Chevy Nova Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1723 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Get one of those $20 IR heat guns. Check the cylinder heads at a few spots.
Cheap insurance .... just throw in the car for back-up ........
to check your engine temp against your gauge readings .
sure can't hurt ...... and, a good new tool.

jim

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,682
Distraction

I admit to a "slight" distraction from the Nova. See it here:

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666427

I moved the Nova out of the man-cave and into our main garage to make room for the new toy. My daily driver now sits out in the weather.

But the Nova is not forgotten. It may be next week before I get back to it, but after a few more pieces of trim are installed I'll post up the "almost finished" photos.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,683
Tiny progress, and a test

I got the windshield trim installed. Other than that, my distraction has kept me from the Nova except for one outing. I took some friends for a ride in the Nova and tried a full-throttle run from First to Second. I was careful not to spin taking off, but I had it on the floor going into Second and the car chirped the tires but didn't do a full spin like with the 4.10 gears. It *may* have been the extra weight of 4 people in the car, but I think the 3.54 gears have calmed down the torque. Acceleration in 2nd gear isn't as fun, but the car is a whole lot more drivable now.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,684
Several little things

When the car was in the shop having a vent tube put in the rear end, the rear view mirror had fallen off when I picked it up. I don't know if this was something the shop did, or if it was from sitting out in the sun. I've always had trouble with aftermarket glue keeping a mirror on. I tried putting it back on this time with clear Gorilla Glue. I have had good luck with their other products, so we'll see how this works.

I finally bought some epoxy for the Nova fender emblems. I experimented with one last night. It needs a day to cure. If it's holding good this evening, I'll put the other one on. I used JB Weld. It's made for metal, but I have no idea if it's the right product.

The wiper arms have been off since the car was painted. I've waited to install them until I got new wiper blades, but that turned out to be a wild goose chase. Somewhere along the way, my blade holders were replaced with Bosch units. I can't figure out how to get them off, and the people at the local parts store weren't able to help me. I'll play with these some more, but I may have to swallow my pride and take it to a mechanic. Sigh.

I finally got around to cleaning up the oil spill in the garage from where the rear end barfed a month or so ago. Lazy, I know, but I finally got it done. The garage is still a bit of a mess with trim parts laying around everywhere, and tools left over from when I installed the new cooling fan. I cleaned up just a bit, but I just hate cleaning and organizing. It's lots more fun to make a mess.

Finally, I ordered a car cover. I found that I was collecting way too much dust even though the car stays in a fully enclosed garage.

Next on my agenda is to get the rear quarter window parts painted. These are the parts I had powder coated so there would be a good base for paint. Maybe I'll have time to deliver those parts to the shop before they close today.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,685
Epoxy for emblems

The JB Weld seems to work for sticking the Nova fender emblems on without nuts on the posts. I tugged at the one on the passenger side and it seems tight. So, I put the other one on today, and I have to give it 24 hours to cure.

Our garage door mechanism busted, so the Nova is stuck inside for now. It's a double-wide solid wood door, so not something I can handle myself. I have a guy coming out next week to show us some decorative steel doors to replace the 26-year-old original.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,686
Fan update

Just a quick update on the new cooling fan. I took the car out for a quick drive last night. I didn't do much sitting in traffic, and it was a sun-down cruise, so there wasn't a lot of outdoor heat to tax the system. Not the best test for a cooling fan, but I did notice some differences from the old SPAL.

Again, I don't know what's up with my temperature gauge and whether or not it's accurate, but I'm comparing fan-to-fan with the same temp gauge, so at least my observations have some credibility. The old SPAL fan used to come on at an indicated 140 degrees and basically never turn off once it came on. It was also LOUD. The Flex-a-lite fan seems to come on at about 160 degrees indicated, and cycles on and off. Although at first I didn't think it was much quieter than the SPAL (because I was listening in an enclosed garage), while out driving the car it's hard to tell if the fan is on or not. I ended up looking at the ammeter to see when there was extra draw from the alternator, so it really is quieter.

At this point, I can tentatively recommend the Flex-a-lite. I don't know yet if it's the ideal solution, but it seems better in every way than the old fan.

I want to add something else interesting. We've been out playing a lot in the Ferrari lately, as you would expect of a new toy. Last night was the first drive in the Nova in maybe a month. Purely from a driving standpoint, I like the Nova better, and I think this is mostly because of the sound. The Ferrari is just too quiet for me, and I'm not spending $5k on it anytime soon to change that. I think the Nova will end up being our "every day special car" and the Ferrari will be the "special day special car". In any case, I'm surprised that it turned out this way. I was worried the Nova would get less of my attention with an exotic on board.

And for those of you who catch the details, I said in my last post that the Nova was stuck in the garage because of a busted garage door. I haven't replaced the door yet, but the repairman made a temporary fix that allows the door to operate. That's how I got the Nova out of its cage.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,687
Window channels

I don't know how long it's been now since I ordered the rear quarter window channels. They've been sitting around in the garage forever. We finally got a break in the hot weather and I used that opportunity to get them installed.

Rather a pain in the neck, but then again what isn't? There's a chrome trim piece that mounts to each window, and then goes in a track in the channels. The trim piece detached from the windows ages ago, and I wasn't sure how to glue them back into place. I used some very sticky 3M Form-a-gasket. I'm giving that 24 hours to dry, and we'll see how it does. Once I'm confident those are stuck tight, I can re-install the rear trim panels.

I ordered front window channel felt today. That should resolve the most annoying problem we're currently facing - the windows rattle constantly while driving.

Finally, I realize this has mostly turned into an "I did this" thread versus the original "This is how I did it" thread. I'm kind of burned out on the whole thing and just want the car done. Don't know if I'll be going into all the details like I used to. My apologies. Life changes. Life goes on.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,688
Window channel felt

Finally I got the front window channel felt installed. I chose the brand offered by Summit, and it worked great. I can't believe I've been living with rattling windows for over a year when the solution was so simple.

I also checked out the rear windows and found that the 3M Form-a-gasket worked fine for sticking the chrome trim piece to the window.

And, I haven't installed them yet, but I found that standard wiper blades fit the wiper arms, so I bought a set of those.

With all this done, the car should be weather proof. One more step toward making it an anytime driver.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,689
Misc trim stuff

I took the car back to the paint shop today to get an estimate on a few things:

1) To prep and paint the rear quarter window trim to match body color
2) Rework the front of the hood lip so the trim can be installed
3) Figure out a way to get the front drip rail trim mounted.

On that last item, I'm pretty sure that my welder friend didn't properly install the channel that the trim mounts to - there doesn't appear to be any way to attach the trim. In looking into this I also found out that one of my trim pieces has been cut or broken, so it's not long enough. The paint shop's solution is to cut the "wing" off the entire drip channel and just let me get some aftermarket trim to put on it - the kind that would go on the outside edge of a door. The "wing" is what I'm calling the upturned part of the channel that the factory trim mounts to.

I was all prepared to buy new seat belts, but I talked with Morris Classic, and apparently there's nothing that can be done for me without some sort of welding. The problem is that I have a '74 car with a '73 seat. There's no provision on the seat for the seat belt to go through, so the belts ride high near passenger's neck line. I'm still searching for a solution to this. My wife had sewn a loop on the side of the seat, but it doesn't work down there - it needs to be up higher, otherwise the belt doesn't want to glide.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Your getting done to finishing touches now. I'm glad you are seeing it all the way to the end. I see a lot of projects fall off at this point but it's those final touches that set it off.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
and, I agree with Bruce ^^^^^^^^^^

you're close -- stay in there , work some , go drive the "sports-car" , and , back to the NOVA.

A word about getting a "car - cover" ---

I had a friend , several years back , just had his car 'Painted' …. then, bought a car - cover (and, I think he said ; he was parking 'out-side' .
He Did-not like the car cover ----- said , when the wind would blow --
then, blow the car cover around ---------- ended-up putting 'some scratches in his paint , and looked BAD.
That's his - story …. but, something to think about (after all of your hard work) .

Thanks for all of your time , write - ups , and all those pictures …………
it's been loads of Fun & Info , both .

jim

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,692
Seatbelts

I took the car by the custom shop that did some work for me before. They're going to create some tabs/wings/loops - whatever you call them - that will attach to the base of the headrest posts, and will sit just above the front seat shoulder to hold the seatbelts. I'm hoping this resolves the issue of the belts riding high, and it's a relatively cheap fix if it works. My wife's late model challenger has something like this from the factory, so my hopes are high.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I put some late-model 2016 Impala seats in my Nova. And have the same problem with the seatbelts coming close to my neck. I’ve often wondered if the Challenger/charger seat belt “loop” would work with these Impala seats. I’ll have to take a closer look because when I drive down the road I do hold onto the seatbelt to pull it away from my neck.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The original bucket seats in my Nova had a plastic bracket that was attached to the top/side of each bucket seat to hold the seat belt lower on the shoulder.
I also had the same issue with the seat belt resting too high on my neck after I installed some aftermarket front seats.

I resolved the seat belt issue by making a custom metal bracket that I attached to the head rest posts of the aftermarket bucket seats. I attached the metal bracket to the head rest posts by using some cable clamps that I purchased from the hardware store. I then attached the original plastic seat belt bracket to the metal bracket to keep the seat belt on my shoulder.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,695
The original bucket seats in my Nova had a plastic bracket that was attached to the top/side of each bucket seat to hold the seat belt lower on the shoulder.
I also had the same issue with the seat belt resting too high on my neck after I installed some aftermarket front seats.

I resolved the seat belt issue by making a custom metal bracket that I attached to the head rest posts of the aftermarket bucket seats. I attached the metal bracket to the head rest posts by using some cable clamps that I purchased from the hardware store. I then attached the original plastic seat belt bracket to the metal bracket to keep the seat belt on my shoulder.
Good job on that. It's kindof sortof similar to what the custom shop will be doing for me. I'm no fabricator.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I actually just completed the seat belt guide mod a month ago. Basically, I went through 3 sets before I was happy with the look.
First went with a Pontiac G8. Did not look right and did not fit my headrest.
Then I bought the late model Dodge Challenger seat belt guide. This was better with fitment on the head rest but the slit was in the wrong place and allowed the belt to come free from the seat belt guide. Plus the huge guide hole just didn't look right.
Then I found the perfect one from a 05-10 Chevy Cobalt. The guide had the slit in the right place which allowed easy removal if needed and insertion. And the guide itself was just the right size. The price is good as well.
The guide puts the belt in the exact spot needed and feels so comfortable. No more seat belt on my neck.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,698
I actually just completed the seat belt guide mod a month ago. Basically, I went through 3 sets before I was happy with the look.
First went with a Pontiac G8. Did not look right and did not fit my headrest.
Then I bought the late model Dodge Challenger seat belt guide. This was better with fitment on the head rest but the slit was in the wrong place and allowed the belt to come free from the seat belt guide. Plus the huge guide hole just didn't look right.
Then I found the perfect one from a 05-10 Chevy Cobalt. The guide had the slit in the right place which allowed easy removal if needed and insertion. And the guide itself was just the right size. The price is good as well.
The guide puts the belt in the exact spot needed and feels so comfortable. No more seat belt on my neck.
Do you have any more details on how to fit these to the car?

...and in other news, I got my car and parts back from the shop. The hood front lip trim is now in place. I bought some door-edge trim to replace the factory window drip-rail trim, but I haven't installed it yet. I also have the rear quarter window trim pieces painted to match the car but haven't installed them yet. It's been unusually hot, and I haven't felt too good the past week. A break in the weather comes tomorrow, and I hope to get these parts on the car and finally take some updated pictures.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Do you have any more details on how to fit these to the car?
Sure do....

Its straight forward. On the modern cars, (like the Challenger and many others) the seat belt guide is installed with the head rest on the seats. So what you just need to do is make the holes match with your particular head rest spokes.

I have the ProCar seats and so I made one extra hole on the Cobalt seat guide. I also had to swap the guides so that the Cobalt's passenger guide goes on my Driver side and the Cobalt's Driver side goes on my passenger side. This enabled the angle and position of the guide match the contours of the seats perfectly.

Here's a pic of the guide showing the three holes. My head rest was wider than on the Cobalt so I had to drill just one hole. That was a big detail that I looked for when searching for the modern car guides. And I did a lot of research. Also went through 3 different car guides which costed me a pretty penny when it was all said and done. (My wallet was not happy but yours will be :D)

And here is how it gets installed. EazyPeezy :yes:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Here's one more shot detailing the contour I am referring to. You can see that the curvature of the guide loop follows the seat curve. Looks like it belongs and like I said earlier. Very comfortable and I feel nice and secure. I'm 6ft tall and even my daughter which is 5 ft 5" tall feels just snuggly under the belt :D:p

1681 - 1700 of 1723 Posts