Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this car earlier in the week. Everything seems to be ok except for the blinkers. The turn signals light up but they stay static and solid, there is no blinking of any sort. The back passenger blinker is out so i got a couple bulbs to replace the rear ones. Im hoping this resolves the issue. Any other possibilities as to why this would be happening?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,486 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site.
Yes... with a stock blinker relay, the blinker indicator light (in the dash) will stay on when one of the turn signal bulbs is out. It was designed this way to give the driver a "heads-up" that a turn signal bulb needs to be replaced. Just be sure to use the correct replacement bulb.

As utterson suggested above, questions should be posted within the appropriate sections of the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello and welcome to the site.
Yes... with a stock blinker relay, the blinker indicator light (in the dash) will stay on when one of the turn signal bulbs is out. It was designed this way to give the driver a "heads-up" that a turn signal bulb needs to be replaced. Just be sure to use the correct replacement bulb.

As utterson suggested above, questions should be posted within the appropriate sections of the forum.
I appreciate the response. And yes in the future i will post on the correct forum, first time using this site. Thank you for the information.

·
6,497 Posts
Being a moderator in "Electrical" hopefully I got this moved properly.

Anyway, original old style turn signal flasher as well as your other flasher (emergency) rely on a particular load or amount of lights to be connected to them to get them to turn the bulbs off after they are on and then back on once a part inside cools off. The turn signal/emergency flasher module sorta acts like an automatically resetting circuit breaker to where the contacts inside the flasher are connected but then when a light or light is connected to it the flasher becomes overloaded and the contacts open up. Once the mechanism inside cools, the contact close once again to allow power to flow through it.

With most cars having at least one front and one rear right side or left side turn signal light, this normally is enough to get a flasher to work but flasher modules wear out or get replaced with incorrect ones and things stop working like they should. Throw in variable like today with LED replacement bulbs and now the original flashers also need to be replaced in some situations. Also too on the 74 model, the front grill turn signal lights are also connected to the front side marker lights and these side marker lights cannot be replaced with standard LED types of bulbs so watch out for this if you ever upgrade later.

I would get all of the bulbs working and then if needed replace the flasher modules. The turn signal one is by the radio and the emergency one is plugged into the fuse block.

If for some reason someone has replaced the original filament style bulbs on the car with LED style ones then they may or may not be the right ones so then one might put in original style ones and flashers to verify things do work through the turn signal switch and emergency flasher switch on the column.

Jim

·
Registered
357 Posts
If the answers above don't get you fixed up. Update your post, with what you have done to try and fix. As far as posting in wrong section, you might be in the wrong pew (category) but you are in the right church (SNS Forum).

Welcome

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. It was a loose wire in the back passenger side blinker. Replaced the bulbs in the back and connected the wire and it worked for a few seconds blinking and then went back to the static state that it was previously in. Im going to check all the fuses tomorrow to see if maybe that is the issue.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are all your bulbs in the signal/marker/stop lights good? Also the flasher module?
Im going to go through a complete light check tomorrow to make sure everything is good. I haven't checked the flasher module yet. Im somewhat new to cars as well so im kind of learning as i go. This one seems to be a good one to start on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts