Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a car show yesterday and saw this 1974 GTO. I never saw anything resembling a Nova listed as a GTO. Does anyone have any information about these cars? Kind of has a SOA appeal.

·
13,707 Posts
The GTO, as muscle car fans knew it, took its last breath in 1974. For it's final year, Pontiac offered the GTO as on option package for the 'X' body Ventura (same body as the Nova). It had one engine, a 350 CID/200 HP V/8. Not surprisingly, it was a dismal failure and the iconic GTO nameplate was gone at year end. Thirty years later Pontiac introduced the 2004 GTO, basically an Australian Holden Monaro rebadged for the U.S. market. Actually, it wasn't a bad car, but looked frumpy and wasn't close to what GTO fans expected. Sales were terrible and it disappeared at the end of 2006. Will we ever see a revival of the GTO? Like those who ask the same question about our beloved Novas, maybe we should appreciate what we have, because a new model probably would be a great disappointment, perhaps not unlike the Toyota Nova of the 80's.

Bob

Reactions: Orlando1

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That hood is cool with the air breather going through it and a tach mounted on it. If I had a 74 I would be looking for one of those hoods!

·
Registered
405 Posts
That hood is cool with the air breather going through it and a tach mounted on it. If I had a 74 I would be looking for one of those hoods!
That is a cool hood. Looks to be a shaker too. My cousin had a 4 speed Ventura that he dropped a big block in and raved about the car and how fast it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
I had one for a while. mine was Buccaneer Red, just like the brochure image. Red/White/Blue w/black/chrome outline decal package.

Any hood tach was an add-on by the owner, never came from the factory with them, even though early brochure images show them.

The grille's with turn signal/driving light "floating" in them and the hood with shaker are the only external pieces different from same year Ventura....other than the front header used was the stamped steel '71-73 Ventura Sport version and not the slightly different shaped molded composite header panel used an the regular '73-74 Ventura....the curve raduis of the top surface is different

Cool fact, the '74 GTO Shaker has a solenoid operated WOT flip open cold air door in the back of it....the '74 Trans Ams did not get this door, the TA shaker just had a solid metal block off plate and was not a true functional shaker unless you drilled out three rivets and rtemoved the TA plate..

Could have been a great car if Pontiac had just put something bigger than the 200HP 350 in it....a TA spec 400 would have been nice.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
There used to be one in my neighborhood in the 80's. I always thought it was cool. I've only seen a few since then. If I could get a clean one at a good price, I'd probably grab it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
There used to be one in my neighborhood in the 80's. I always thought it was cool. I've only seen a few since then. If I could get a clean one at a good price, I'd probably grab it.
With just 7,058 produced, with age and attrition they are getting to be fairly rare.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
yeah . . . . like a L-4 Nova . . . . I have seen pictures (but, only one in person , back in 1963)

jim

·
Registered
265 Posts
Back in 1974, I had a choice of the 74 GTO, or a 74 Nova.. I was trading in my 70 Nova I bought when I got out of the Service. I opted for the Nova...Heavy duty suspension, front and rear, 3:55 Posi., 350ci, 200hp, 4-speed, bench seat, tinted glass, AM/FM radio, heavy duty cooling, yellow with black stripes. Put Cragar SS's on it....

·
Registered
47 Posts
yeah . . . . like a L-4 Nova . . . . I have seen pictures (but, only one in person , back in 1963)

jim
Like my ‘68 Nova SS. Other than in photos or online I have never seen one in person, only a clone of which the owner refused to believe I had one. That’s how rare they are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Oldest Brother bought a new 74 Goat, Buccaneer Red on Red, 350 4 speed with buckets. I drove that car all the time when I was a teenager. Last few years, his health wasnt good so I started picking up parts for his car hoping we could get her back on the road. He passed away in June and I now have the old Goat. Plans are 2006 GTO Ls and 6 speed swap. Maybe even swap interior. This was when it was new.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has any car company ever been more mismanaged than Pontiac after 1972? So many opportunities from the original GTO, the Trans Am, the Solstice, the SJ GP and more the Management made every wrong decision that could possibly be made. Meanwhile the retro Mustang marches on, Dodge with the Viper, Challenger, Demon Dart, Charger was able to survive at least for the last 40 years. What a collassal waste of talent and opportunities by Pontiac. I was 16 and able to walk into a Chevy showroom in 1966 and order a 66 Chevy II SS 327 275 HP 4 speed for $2,900($75 month paper route) (Dad co-signed). The 66 GTO was a similar bargain. What a great experience and memory when the Chevy II came in on the Trailer with the other new cars a month later. I drove it through High School and 2 years of College. I ask my self where would a 16 year old go today to get an experience like that. To get the answer I ask my 15 year old grandson. His immediate response was Mustang. Who would have thought in 1966 the Mustang would have prevailed over the entire Pontiac Company? A company sadly missed.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Has any car company ever been more mismanaged than Pontiac after 1972? So many opportunities from the original GTO, the Trans Am, the Solstice, the SJ GP and more the Management made every wrong decision that could possibly be made. Meanwhile the retro Mustang marches on, Dodge with the Viper, Challenger, Demon Dart, Charger was able to survive at least for the last 40 years. What a collassal waste of talent and opportunities by Pontiac. I was 16 and able to walk into a Chevy showroom in 1966 and order a 66 Chevy II SS 327 275 HP 4 speed for $2,900($75 month paper route) (Dad co-signed). The 66 GTO was a similar bargain. What a great experience and memory when the Chevy II came in on the Trailer with the other new cars a month later. I drove it through High School and 2 years of College. I ask my self where would a 16 year old go today to get an experience like that. To get the answer I ask my 15 year old grandson. His immediate response was Mustang. Who would have thought in 1966 the Mustang would have prevailed over the entire Pontiac Company? A company sadly missed.
when is the last time/car GM hit the mark for you? just curious.

i remember the excitement when Pontiac said GTO was coming back. and they came out with...that. did that design somehow do well with the test group?

during media interviews with managment there is always the knock with car companies about going "retro" and how it is not good. then explain why Dodge ignored that and continues to sell Challengers? it stinks because you just KNOW those GM designers could come up with something awesome-retro, if turned loose. we'll never know.

-Rusty

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The mid to late 70's was a sad time for muscle cars for sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts