Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the FAQ area and no questions that address my issue. So...

I have replaced the wiper motor with no problems - works fine. But when I took the washer pump off it came off in pieces so now I do not know how the pump is assembled in order to put it back on.

There is a small four point cog that seems to have no place to go. Like I said the original one fell to pieces all over my garage floor.

Where does this go in the pump? There is a small "pimple" on one side that I can't find an indentation for it to fit into and on the other side there is a slot for a drive that would fit in it only I can't find that in the pump or on the wiper motor for it.

Please send pictures! Seriously. Anyone have a parts breakdown or know where I can get a parts breakdown of this washer pump assembly?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Really, no help with washer pump install?

Come on there has got to be someone who can help. I have tried everything to get this windshield washer pump installed and I am just stumped.

The old one fell apart so I never got the chance to see how it was installed.

PLEASE, someone help with a link a picture or a parts breakdown. With all the expertise on this site I can't believe there is no one that knows this.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey Dave sorry for your nightmare here. I have done a little research for you on this. It is hard for me to tell exactly what you are dealing with here. Not sure of you need the repair kit or the complete washer pump. Either way they are inexpensive. Here is a link to repair kits for the washer pump. http://www.car-stuff.com/1973chevroletnovawasherpumprepairkit.htm Now if you do not need just the repair kit and just want the whole washer pump assembly in one unit here is some links where you can get one inexpensive. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACI-MAXAIR-172332-Windshield-Washer-Pump-/180968435983?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a228f310f&vxp=mtr and http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1973/chevrolet/nova/body_electrical/washer_pump.html Would help if you had some pictures showing exactly what you are dealing with, parts etc.. They also carry the washer pump repair kits at Oreilly and possibly the whole washer pump assembly if you do not want to wait for shipping. As far as a diagram of how the parts go I cannot tell you without seeing what you are dealing with first. Hope this helps and keep us informed of your progress and post some pictures if you can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You're in luck! I just got my wiper pump working last night (granted mine didn't come off in pieces). It's a pretty convoluted system designed to avoid having a second motor for the pump. I guess electric motors were pretty pricey and large back then. Here are some pictures for you (mind you, the black cover has been removed temporarily). The four spoke cog goes on the motor side, and is constantly engaging the pump "arm." Only when the washer button is depressed, is the the pump "arm" allowed to contact the toothed wheel, which charges the piston for the pump. Go here to see more pics and video of it running. Ganthar, thanks for the heads up on those replacement parts! As you can see in the pics, the inlet nozzle is broken on my pump and I was wondering how i was going to fix it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
73 washer pump install

Steve,
Thanks for the pictures. The last one was the clincher for me. The hole where the wiper motor slides in to the cog is too small (I think) on my 4-point cog. I tried slipping it on when I first got it and it would not fit. That is why I was stumped as to where the cog went (if not there). I'll try some more but may have to find another cog somewhere to put on there.

Ganthar, thanks for the links I may have to use one or more of them to find a cog.

Mark,
If I can get just a cog at that link you posted that would save me some cash I think. Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmm, interesting. There is absolutely no slop or play in the four paddle cog on the motor, and it sure isn't going to come off without a fight on mine. I didn't remove it, but I also didn't take note as to how it was fixed to the motor. Seeing as there's no visible fasteners for it, I'd imagine it was a very tight press fit or somehow glued (maybe threaded, if there's a metal sleeve inside the cog :confused: ), as it needs to provide a good bit of torque to the pump arm/piston gate when pumping. I'd like to hear what the new cog looks like and is affixed once you get it. You can never know too much about your car... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
73 washer pump instal

Definitely will take pictures when I get at it. I am out of country right now and won't be back until weekend before Thanksgiving.

The cog looks just like your cog in the picture only it is not attached. on the back side there is a slot, half circle with a flat side. The shaft coming from the wiper motor has the same shape that obviously, now, presses into the cog. I didn't try to force it on because I didn't want to break it. Now I know I will probable have to put it on my press to get it on. There is no metal sleeve in it so I am guessing it is strong enough to handle the pumping action. The nipple on the other side rides against the pump back for stability (?).

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts