Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking around and can't find a service manual that covers just the 73 hatcback. Does someone have one or is is posted here somewhere? I would like a detailed manual like Helm's has for other autos. Is it even available? I have seen some on Ebay, but those manuals also cover other GM cars. I would like a specific one for the 73 if possible. This would include everything about the car, dissasembly, electrical, body, etc.
Thanks, Dann

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The best you will probably find is a 73 Nova assembly manual. It will not be specific to the hatchback, but should cover it. I've never seen an assembly manual for a 73 or newer Nova, but again I've never looked for one. I really don't think your going to find any book that is specific to the 73 Nova "Hatchback". I've found GM's yearly based service manuals are pretty darn good, you just have to look through the rest of the stuff to find what you are looking for.

·
6,498 Posts
While I haven't seen a model specific manual I did buy the GM service manual and the Fisher body manual and it has a lot of info in it. You just have to get to the area you want and then to the Nova model in that section. Some things are consistent through the different models and body styles and I think that is why the combined it all into the two manuals. It was probably easier at a dealership to have one or two books and not have to keep track of a bunch of smaller ones.

I have through the years gotten some service updates for the 74 models and these contain things that might not have been covered in the manuals or updates ways of servicing things. They too cover more than just the Nova model. I would think there would also be ones for the 1973 year.

I know on some of the NOS pieces I have bought for my car I try and get the ones that have the installation instructions included. For example I have a 1974 NOS GM cruise control that was made to be installed at the dealership or sold over the counter and it has a bunch of different parts in it to fit most models from that year of Chevrolets and then inside the manual it gets more specific as to what part would get used on what model and how things are to be run and installed on that specific car. This same information might be covered in one of the big books I have but it also serves as something else. I could use this added information to compare between the two and get a feel that both might be the same and then assume it might be right when I look at an unrestored or restored car however I might find out that the information while mostly correct in print was not done that way exactly on a production line car from that time.

A good starting point for anyone with a 1973 Chevrolet model car would be to get both the 1973 GM service manual and the 1973 Fisher body manual.

I too have to wonder as I don't know for a fact how much might have been possibly carried over from the prevouis year and how things might be on an early built model. I've seen it before with some of the late model cars I've worked on as the info out there does not jive with what I have in front of me and that what is in the service manual might not coincide with what is actually on the car and it takes some research to find out that they might have done it one way before a certain VIN number or was a gradual change over.

Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks to all. I think I will get the two books mentioned as those are the only ones I have found.
Thanks, Dann

1 - 5 of 5 Posts