Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I know... but that’s why I’m building it.

Plus it was given to me free.

So since 2012 I have been building this car up for drag and it’s been slow going, farming, work, other breakdowns on the farm, bills.. you all know the song and dance.

I finally have the front end Detroit speed rebuild done. It’s time for the 12pt roll cage and the power plant. I have a dirt track motor in it just so I can enjoy it but for the past year I have been sanding off 9 layers of damn paint on and off. I got a Detroit speed rear suspension upgrade in..
and a ford 9” I been debating on shortening and putting in her cause I doubt the Corp 10 bolt will hold up long but who knows.

I just got a 454 for free for doing some other work so I have been thinking about going a different route with the power plant. Around spring will have around 10 grand for the motor, and also set aside about 5 grand for tuning and miscellaneous parts I will need. Tci power glide will be in it. But that will come after I save up for that.
I can run some of my others until then, I got enough that’s for sure but I don’t know if they will hold up but I may not have to worry about that since I’ll be still finishing up the car and testing

but anywho. For this 454... I have always done small block stuff and I’m unsure the build as of yet but I want to touch the 800hp mark

So over the years all I have been doing is building this car for the “someday” motor and we are growing near. Sorry I haven’t posted in a while but was looking to see what some of you guys have done with the BBC or if I should take that 10grand and save for a 555bb or what.
Hope all you fellas are doing well
Jim

Here are a couple photos, I wanted to get the older doors back on the car. Between chores and what not I come in and hog on some paint... sucks ass but nows the time since I’ll be taking the interior out again for the cage and modding the front sub to take that big motor/oil pan clearance and what not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
And hell, I can see where your coming from there. I could do an el cheapo build blue collar style for 2 grand and put it in something else around here
On that 454 that is

The point is, parts for the most part cost the same for a specific combo. So if you are looking at a 1.5 HP/cubic inch combo, it will cost about the same for a 540 as a 468. The difference being, a 540 will make 810 hp, where a 468 will make 702 hp. To make 800 hp out of a 468 will require better heads and valvetrain to do it, higher compression, and probably even spin higher to do it. Not that any of that is bad. When I walked away from racing this year, my car had a 565 making 980 hp at 7200 rpm N/A. But it was getting more and more expensive to do. Gone were the stud rockers, and shelf bought aluminum heads and intake.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Glad to see some 73/74 love and think its even cooler it’s a 4 door! More pics of the shop, looks like a cool setup!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

1 - 7 of 7 Posts