Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
i just checked up on this guy(dansker) and he hasnt posted since june '06!
i wonder how his girls are doing working on the car:rolleyes:

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Well after having surgery and a lot happening here, I'm back. Now onto the project. I have time now to get to work. Computer died with all pics on it so it will be tougher to assemble after bodywork is done. Sorry for not posting any progress but just had so much on the table. I hope we can put a big dent into her now. I know I will have a thousand questions and hope to meet friends and get knowledge.
Thanks for all the help, Dann

Big block, manual, with air

I have had several 3rd gens, 5 to date, and I've had a big block, with auto, and air, in a 74 H/B, it can be done, but you have to use very specific parts to keep the A/C box out of harms way. Start with a 73-74 Ventura/Omega/Apollo, A/C box and internals (evaporator, expansion valve, hoses), they angle more toward the passenger side of the engine compartment due to the wider Buick/Olds/Pontiac engines. In 73 and 74 Novas switched to the subframe mounted later style "caged" mounts with clamshells on the block, so it's no problem getting it in there, and you have fewer issues with the height of the engine, headers are lots of fun though, I'd consider doing a bolt in rack and pinion conversion, just to free up the space for headers. If you are dead set on a stick, I would seriously consider a T56, 6-speed, just for the ease of use, availability, and strength. The T-56 uses a hydraulic clutch, much more "user friendly" in traffic (ask me how I know), or if an auto is an option, I'd consider an Art Carr 2004R, either way you get the benefits of an overdrive to keep your final drive ratio sane. If I can help you to locate any of these parts, holler at me, I live across the street from a "classic car" wrecking yard, he has 30 X-body's to choose from including at least 4, 3rd gen Ventura/Omega/Apollos.
Good to see some girls, or young ladies, getting interested in this hobby:yes:.

Hope this helps, Pat

First things first!

The best way to aproach this:

1. Decide exactly what you want on this car, engine, trans, rear, exhaust, interior, suspension, cooling system, sound system

2. Acquire the necessary parts, you can do this as you go

3. Mock it up, everything, engine, trans, rear end, exhaust, sheet metal, have the car basically complete, so you know everything fits, and your ride height is set

4. Tear it down, taking notes how everything fits together

5. Do your body work and paint, you can do this with suspension installed, but you may have to tape most of it off, to reduce overspray.

6. Install drivetrain, cooling system, exhaust, wiring, interior, preferably in that order

7. Enjoy!

It's a huge undertaking to say the least, but it's all worth it, at least thats what I keep telling my wife. :devil:

Pat

T-56 pros and cons

The pros: strong (the ones out of the Vipers are the strongest), plentiful now, easier to install (hydraulic clutch= no linkage problems), shifter placement in a Nova would be closer to the driver (3" farther back than a Muncie or Saginaw), bell housing from a Camaro/Corvette bolts right up to a BB.

The cons: A little more expensive than a Muncie or a Saginaw, a little heavier than a Muncie or Saginaw, you'll have to shorten your driveshaft ( no biggie, $200 at the local driveshaft shop), have to convert pedal to actuate a hydrulic cylinder (also no biggie)

Pat

Blank canvas?

If you're still in the developmental stages, consider a newer LS2 small block, they are almost cheaper to buy, on ebay, than building a big block dollar for dollar, and they make good power with big block style torque. Not to mention you could actually see some decent mileage from it with a 6-speed. Oh, and the SS package was available in 73, there are several here in the forums.

Pat

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all the info and parts location. Next week we start that body, sanding to bare metal. Some sheet metal (quarter panels need replacement) Have the car at work now, girls graduating from hight school and on to college. So I guess it will be mostly me and friends tackling the project.
Front end needs to be removed and gone through. She has disc brakes which I'm happy about, but I think I will need to get heavier springs for BB. Motor coming out of my ski boat (rat) and I have a saginaw. I know that hydraulic clutch is sweet, but there is something going back to the old days. I know I will have a million questions along the way with parts and fitting and locating. This site is great and thanks to all for any help.
Dann

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Getting all tools together to strip her down. I will have to mount fenders, radiator support and get all lined up before starting body work. Stupid us didn't mark down all the shims for alignment. It will give me good foundation for final assembly anyway.
Dann

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Yes, I have that in mind, mocking up the engine without the fenders on. I have to say that I will be installing small block after all. After reading all the posts, it will be a much longer project with big block. Sanders have been ordered and will be in this week. Then on to the inside to srip down. New mounts for bucket seats will need to be welded on. Hole will need to be cut for saginaw, I will have to be careful on that one, hopefully someone can guide me to the proper location. I have the hump already. Can't wait to install brand new hatch, the old one has a lot of cancer.
Dann

well to be perfectly honest with you.. your direction with the car making it an SS and all is great. you know they did make an SS in 73. they made them for several years after that too. in fact i have a 73 SS grill for sale. *hint hint* :) but anyway i would get all the SS trim for it if u like but as far as the original SS console and original seats i think you'll end up paying way too much money for these original parts when there are much cheaper and better looking alternatives. as far as making it a manual trans.. sure, but the driver better have little feet :) not much room to play around with in my opinion. i'll have some pics posted up in a week or two with my 73 interior thats almost done at this point. I used a console out of a 91 camaro--chopped it down to fit and bucket seats out of a 98 firebird. i think the combination looks great. all gauges are white faced with blue LEDS and the speedo is silver faced. the car also has an aftermarket AC that uses the original ducting, i bought it from Oldair and just finished installing recently. personally i think if you're looking for a car to work on theres no better way than to go than the custom route. it'll end up looking better, be one of a kind and you learn how to really make things work when you have to do a little customizing to get your vision right. i think the most important thing in a build is direction, after that all you have to do is make everything work. best of luck to you, i'd like to see some progress pics.

He should be able to locate a 73 console,they're still fairly easy to find,The 72 and older are getting tougher to find though.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I purchase original buckets and floor mounts cut out of a 73. Just need to locate and weld to floor. Doesn't look to be all that hard to do. I'm thinking that the outside bench seat holes will be my guiding point for the buckets. Still waiting for air tools to arrive, should be today I hope. Still need a few more tools to start the sanding process. I know I could have gone many directions with this project but wanted to go mostly original. I thought about the center consol but I also no that not all SS's came with that option.
Dann

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.