Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says. I have posted some questions here recently. I will probably ask a million questions and as time goes by, be able to answer a lot. Anyway, my daughters have decided they want to get dirty and completely restore a project car. Their ages are 22, 21, and a pair of twins almost 16 (gettting their license in one week so stay off the sidewalks guys).
We have already started and are taking a lot of pics. I will need to figure out how to post among other things.
But here is the dilema. It is stock, has minor body work, will need new hatch and maybe quarter panel fixes. 350 engine 2 barrel. Automatic column. I'm thinking big block, SS package (even though I know it wasn't offered in 73). Convert to manual tranny? Use existing engine with mods or what. Money aint the issue, I have 4 girls that want to learn. Most of the work I can do and teach them. So what do you guys think, try to find everything for an SS, including buckets, console, steering wheel, trim, etc. Or leave it stock?
I could go on and on and I think that I will post some of the questions in other post as we go on. Just would love to hear your input.
Thanks, Dann

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i have a daughter who likes ta help me and my vote barely gets the 51%... i feel for ya buddy. the women, if they get together are gonna run ya outta town !!!

Way Ta Go Girls !!! :D :D :D

i'd check the consensus of yer "partners" collect pics of an SS equipped car so the choices can be made by them (or have some say)

they're gonna be driving it ??? or just helping ???

i'd say, bottom line, ta get 'em involved in all facets of the project, planning, pricing, ordering... the greasy work... everything ;)

stock or upgraded... ultimately the decision is yours (actually theirs ;) )

ENJOY !!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, these girls are into everything. Go cart racing in past. Riding quads (400 Hondas). Flying lessons, (twins) can both fly and land a plane. So stick or automatic isn't an issue. I feel confident they can handle anything and everthing, whether a small block or big block with some guidance. My older girls drive the Vipers all the time and it just p####es the guys off. But that's not what it's about. I am tickled pink to teach them and know they can't be swindled later in life by a mechanic.
Dann

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
gettting their license in one week so stay off the sidewalks guys
Thanks for the warning--I've been working in the Valley lately. Sheman Oaks next week, I'll be on the lookout if I get closer!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, how about coming by and checking out the project? Would look forward to meeting you.
Dann

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can someone give me step by step instructions for posting pics? I will have a lot for the project.
Dann

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
hosting at the Site can be done a number of ways... for a donation to the Site for maintenance and upgrades, the Admin will turn on image hosting priviledges. prior to submitting your post/thread, you'd browse yer picture files and upload a shot of 800x600 size (best fit for our format)

or you'll need your own hosting service, some are by yearly subscription, some are free...

most of the regulars here have multiple hosting services... the Site, webshots, photobucket, cardomain... there's numerous to choose from...

once you decide the type hosting service you'd like to utilize... we could be of more help... but it's rather simple...

some allow imaging and linking, some allow only linking... you should check 'em all out and decide who's going to host yer images...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
They sound pretty resourceful...buy em a welder and a good set of tools and turn em loose and see what they come up with! :D

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Way to go!

You and the girls all five!!! :eek: :D

There is no finer car, IMHO, than the 1973 Nova Hatchback!! :D :D

It's your/their car so take it to committee and come up with a plan and fog ahead on!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So going with big block and manual shift, it would take a lot longer to complete. What stumbling blocks will I encounter and what would I need to change? This car has factory air and power assist brakes. Thanks, Dann

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
dansker said:
So going with big block and manual shift, it would take a lot longer to complete. What stumbling blocks will I encounter and what would I need to change? This car has factory air and power assist brakes. Thanks, Dann
Well I dont believe that the factory ever made a BB Nova that had AC BUT I know that is has been done. Its just a tight fit is all. You will need to swap out the SB frame mounts to BB frame mounts...the tranny crossmember is a little different too, though the SB can be modified to work. The heater core cover is different between BB and SB cars BUT since you have AC it will be different and I'm not sure a BB type is avialable...
The rad and rad support are different between BB and SB cars but a SB rad support can be modified to work...I'm sure there is more I am forgetting but that will get ya going.

Good luck and please keep us informed...its very cool that your girls are into this type of thing....very cool indeed:cool: :)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I think a repo for the heater box with a/c might be available for a 67-69 camaro, as they were available in the L35 and maybe L34? If you are going with a manuel 4speed, you will need a different tranny crossmember, and all the linkages for the tranny, z-bar, maybe clutch fork, ect. Then if you run tall valve covers, a power booster might get in the way, then you might need a smaller diameter power booster, or just stick with the short valve covers, might need new front springs, matters the shape yours are in and the ride hight you want.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Can someone give me step by step instructions for posting pics?
I use fotki.com. A regular membership is free, but I use it to sell photos and have a LOT of stuff stored there. Once you have it set up it's very simple to post pix from there-no resizing or fooling around needed. Just click on the shot you want to post, and it'll give you a URL that you use.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
dansker said:
Greetings,

On the 4 speed items...Make sure you get the correct 11" GM Bellhousing (the part number ends in 681) along with the Z-bar, frame bracket, and such. Unfortunately I just sold off all my 4 speed stuff so can't help you on the parts end of things!

Jason

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi!

i would go with a stick! mutch more funnier..
I like smallblocks, but it is cheapier to build a BB with much tourqe...

Good luck!

//fredrik :devil:

·
Registered
566 Posts
WOW! This was a long lost thread! now 2 years later! So where's the progress pics anyway?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
WOW! This was a long lost thread! now 2 years later! So where's the progress pics anyway?
no kidding chris!
i thought johnny rotten(the flyer) had returned until i looked at the posting date.
leftcoast carl.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Your a lucky guy!!!!
Sounds like a good crew.

My help (2 boys) - away at College ; so its all on me.

My 74 Hatch is MY project. Coming together , but slowly.

My 73 Hatch (Buckets, 4 speed car btw) is gathering dust.

Good Luck

2door

1 - 20 of 36 Posts