Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Im new to site and novas. Ive recently purchased a 1972 2 door and am looking into changing the whole front end suspension and tyres to come close to stock height.

I have read almost all the old threads I can find on this topic which was informative, but left me with some uncertainty.

I am running a 400sbc with alloy heads and intake, power steering, no A/C, battery up front, all steel panels and original front end.

I would like to run 215/65/15 (I think 26" tyre) up front with a stock height front coil spring, and original front end.

So my question is, does anyone have this setup or know the approximate height of the setup I'm seeking? (A measurement from ground to top of wheel arch on front guards would be great)

I understand there is probably a huge amount of Varibles but im just after a ball park figure so I can Jack the front end up to approximate height and see what it will look like before I make changes.

Thanks in advance
Bunyip

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I should have mentioned the current setup measures
23.4" front on 165HR15 or 25.4"
23.8" rear on 255/60/15 or 27"
(Measured ground to arch of guards)

Which only gives me 75mm 3" clearance from ground to collectors.
Cheers
(Cant attach photos for some reason)

·
Registered
1972 Nova
343 Posts
I have Z28 springs (supposedly 1-1.5" drop) in front, stock 5-leaf springs in back, with a stock 350 (iron everything), PS, AC delete, battery up front, and a 2" cowl hood with all steel in front. I'm on 235/60-15 (26") tires in front, 255/60-15 (27") tires in back. I'm sitting at 25.5" in front driver, 26" front passenger, 26" rear driver, 26.5" rear passenger. The only rubbing I'm getting from short drives on my road is from the front driver side, but I believe that's from my inner fender being bent out a little bit from the subframe. Here's a side shot:
IMG_20190914_161703064.jpg

IMG_20200614_193217282_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Z28 springs (supposedly 1-1.5" drop) in front, stock 5-leaf springs in back, with a stock 350 (iron everything), PS, AC delete, battery up front, and a 2" cowl hood with all steel in front. I'm on 235/60-15 (26") tires in front, 255/60-15 (27") tires in back. I'm sitting at 25.5" in front driver, 26" front passenger, 26" rear driver, 26.5" rear passenger. The only rubbing I'm getting from short drives on my road is from the front driver side, but I believe that's from my inner fender being bent out a little bit from the subframe. Here's a side shot:
View attachment 405987
View attachment 405988
Thanks Sudden impulse that's awesome. Going off everything I've read 1-1.5 drop springs has it sitting at about 25 to 25.5" but surely stock Novas didnt sit at 26.5 to 27" high? Or did they.
Ive found a document stating factory height ground to bottom of front bumper was 13.2" but when I jack my car up to this height I have about 25.5" at my wheel arch?
So I'm a bit confused where a stock vehicle with our specs sits with a stock height spring.
Cheers for your help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anyone could tell me the actual stock ride height of a 72 Nova 2 door with a 350ci Auto with P/S, No A/C as if it was straight off the factory floor that would be great?
Also
What size tyres did they come with?
(I think I read 14" rim about 25.5" tyre???)

If I can work out factory stock height, i should be able to go from there and work out additional changes and height variations.

Cheers

·
Registered
1972 Nova
343 Posts
Thanks Sudden impulse that's awesome. Going off everything I've read 1-1.5 drop springs has it sitting at about 25 to 25.5" but surely stock Novas didnt sit at 26.5 to 27" high? Or did they.
Ive found a document stating factory height ground to bottom of front bumper was 13.2" but when I jack my car up to this height I have about 25.5" at my wheel arch?
So I'm a bit confused where a stock vehicle with our specs sits with a stock height spring.
Cheers for your help.
I think something was wrong with that document regarding bumper heights. This site:
has the same spec you are stating, but that's 5" lower than the 1969 and 1970 models, and the headlight centerline height is the same between the years.

My current springs were brand new, so they might settle more compared to the original factory springs I had on there (one still had the paper tag on it!).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks sudden impulse for pointing that out, that was the document I got the bumper measurements from and now it's starting to make sence why my heights were so different.

I wish I had of noticed it myself I could have saved days of reading trying to figure out why my heights Wern't inline with the majority of other peoples setups lol.

I will re measure from the headlight height and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers for your help its really appriciated.

·
Registered
1972 Nova
343 Posts
If I can make it out to the shed tonight I'll do some measurements based off those documents to see where I sit for a comparison (I'm curious too, especially since I don't seem to sit as high as I figured with the stiff springs in back based on some posts I've seen on here).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I can make it out to the shed tonight I'll do some measurements based off those documents to see where I sit for a comparison (I'm curious too, especially since I don't seem to sit as high as I figured with the stiff springs in back based on some posts I've seen on here).
I thought your ride height looked pretty good if not a little bit high in the front by 1" or so from all the photos I've seen. But sometimes photos just dont do it justice.
Thanks Again

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know that those numbers on the chart are good. My headlight center is around 24" from the ground, which would seem about right, but my taillight center is around 29" or 29.5". I'm pretty sure the car isn't sitting 6" higher than stock lol
Awesome, damn that document!!!! I would have thought chev would have a factory document stating all these details but I cant find one when I Ugooglise it.

I think im just gonna do it the expensive way and start throwing some parts at it till I get what I want.
Then I might post my findings at the end for others.

Cheers for all your help, its been really appreciated. If ya ever in OZ I'll buy ya a beer mate.
Regards
Chris

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,534 Posts
Bunyip, I know I responded to you within another thread, But I found a better photo of the side profile of my car. I will also include the measurements within this post for your ease of reference.

Front: Stock coil springs Rear: Stock multi-leaf springs

400 sbc w/aluminum heads, P/S, no A/C, battery up front, all steel front end... but I do have a fiberglass hood. Also note I have a 74 Nova with the BIG bumpers.... but I removed most of the inner bumper bracing to lighten this area up.
Front Height: Floor to Center of Wheel Arch (with 225/55/16 tires > 25.75") = 25.25"
Rear Height: Floor to Center of Wheel Arch
(with 255/50/16 tires > 26.02") = 23.25"

Question...
What type of control arms do you currently have installed on your car?.... Stock?... Tubular?
The reason I ask is that most of the cheaper Ebay tubular control arms (specifically, the lower control arms) have a drop pocket for the coil springs that will typically lower the front end of the car 1"- 2" when using stock height coil springs.

If you are rebuilding your front suspension... another approach you might take is to install adjustable coil-over shocks in the front. That way you could raise or lower the front of your vehicle to your liking (within the limits of the shocks/springs chosen).

Reactions: exotec

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi RifRaf
Thanks, I love the way yours sits, but it seems to be the exception to the rule. From what I've seen stock springs on most other novas with similar specs seem to set the front a lot higher than yours.
However due to your Info and photos and similar specs, I think I'm going to just install some stock height springs and hope it gets me close to your height, either way it will have to be better than what ive got ATM.

Im still on a stock front end with stock arms, but if I cant find the height and ride I want I will probably just go the tubular A arms with coil over which will resolve the problem.
(I was hoping not to have to go this way as its gonna get really expensive freighting a kit to OZ $5-10k)

Thanks again for your Info I've got my fingers crossed my car sits like yours first attempt and will post all my findings here as I go.

Regards
Chris

·
Registered
878 Posts
Buny, you guys have a thriving racing/rodding scene down under, don't you Aussies have a mfg?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
How about salvage yards. As many GM and Ford vehicles as have be exported to Australia for decades you should be able to find some springs to work with locally.. I know of people that come here specifically to buy cars and parts. They load up containers and ship them back to Australia..

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,534 Posts
Hi RifRaf
Thanks, I love the way yours sits, but it seems to be the exception to the rule. From what I've seen stock springs on most other novas with similar specs seem to set the front a lot higher than yours.
Thanks again for the compliment!

It could be that some other Novas are sitting higher in the front with stock coil springs because the springs were not indexed correctly within the upper spring tower when they were installed. There is a recessed area within the upper spring towers where the end of the coil springs sit. To help install the springs correctly, there is a hole located by the upper shock mount that you insert a screwdriver thru. When inserting the front coil spring, you rotate the spring until the end of the coil on the upper spring hits the screwdriver... and then you back the spring off of the screwdriver about 3/8". If you don't index the front coil springs correctly, the end coil may not sit within this recess... therefore lifting the front end higher. Anyway... that's how I installed mine.

Some people think the recessed area and hole in the lower control arms are for indexing the front coil springs... but that is not its purpose. Those are there to drain water from the lower control arm.

Good luck with your project!... and when changing out your front coil springs, be very careful and follow all safety precautions. There is a lot of energy stored in those springs.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,756 Posts
'Bunyip' . . . . Hi Chris . . . .

To post any Picture onto SNS - - - very easy too do .
When making a post - - look at the "lower line of this Box" . . . . . the string of 'icons' '
You can drag your mouse over each icon - - each icon has a 'name' (almost) ;
look at the 'group with the' :

1. "paper clip
2. "chain links"
3. "square box & sunset"
4. " camera image" ?
5. "smiley face"

Pick # 3 . . . . . that's the camera . . . . . . . . click on it 1st ; go get (or have your picture) ; it says
….. "drop image" (click here) . That's it . . . . you get your "picture (from anywhere you want : I've
got pictures from Face Book (and, I don't even do FB) , I've got pictures from "another post here on SNS" ,
I've gotten pic's from my 'desk-top' , I've gotten pic's from my 'Host Site' ( I'm using "Flickr.com" ) .
I have posted "the same pic's" - for a complete new post / subject ……………..
This New SNS site IS picture easy - - - - I hope , I helped . . . . . jim

You can also post several pic's in the same post . Insert a 'description' with / for each pic .
When I do that = I number my pic's . . . . If anyone has a Question = pick the number . . .
easy - peasy .

go too "DriveTrain & Performance" . . . look under " GTO T56 swap" . . . . . check pictures.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about salvage yards. As many GM and Ford vehicles as have be exported to Australia for decades you should be able to find some springs to work with locally.. I know of people that come here specifically to buy cars and parts. They load up containers and ship them back to Australia..
Hi NovaThug
I only want to put new parts into my car and wouldn't even consider used parts.

Getting springs here is the easy bit I can have custom springs of any spec made to order for $135 each. Ive just ordered some stock height springs from the US delivered for $300au as it's not that much dearer that what I can get customs for

I could probably buy some gear here at an inflated price but no where near the selection you guys have and not that much cheaper than I can get it from the US.

Ive found a website that sells nova parts in NSW and their prices are reasonable but not a huge selection.

I dont mind paying top dollar for a suspension kit and to have it freighted over but I just would like to know that it's is gonna be the right system/height/comfort when it arrives.

I'll put these stock springs in and see how it sits after it settles. Then if I don't like how it sits, I will know where I'm sitting with stock springs and make some choices on kits etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts