Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Available on Facebook, in Fort Wayne Indiana. The supporting documents sure look legit, the guy wants $3500. Of course the entire rear is rusted off the car, but if you’re stripping it to the frame rails, how much difference does that make? My question is, considering the cost of a complete restoration, does it make any sense to start building around a VIN tag/ cowl assy?

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
492 Posts
It will have to be a labor of love. If your goal is a concours resto, you could easily end up putting $40k into a $30k car. But it will be a jam-up nice car!!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
well all true, but if you looked at it over a period of time, little by little, as you could afford it, theres guys spend 15 years restore a car, couldn't afford a done one, but could build one over time, as money allows,

·
13,715 Posts
1972 was the only 3rd generation year where you could confirm an SS by the VIN. You might want to do that. A 1972 SS Nova will have a 'K' as the 5th digit in the VIN. This indicates the car had the L48 350 CID 4-bbl engine, which was only available in the super sport.

Bob

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The seller states it has the proper K code, and the attached paperwork looks legit. The rear half is the completely gone, but I guess you could cut it thru the rocker panels and the rear window posts. The motor looks right, accessory-wise, but isn’t the original. So that brings you back to the idea, you’re buying a SS shell that needs everything.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this car is a good example of the pitfalls of a project car. This one has the supporting documents and the necessary SS parts, but when you’re done, how much of the original car is left? Has anybody taken on a major job like this, on a third gen, and if so, any thoughts on that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts