Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i have a 1974 nova hatch back that needs door jamb and quarter work(Where the rocker panels meet the quarter is rusted)
I cannot find full 1974 patches, could i use 1972 full quarters? Only my lower quarters are bad but the rest are in good condtion, i want to swap to 1972 rear tail panels anyways(for the tailights and bumper). Whats the difference between the two?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This is how much metal i need. The upper quarters are fine
-Door jamb
-wheel arch
-lower quarter panel

Could i snag all of it from a 1972 patch?

Im being told i can get away with it if i start patching below the quarter window but id like to confirm this

Attachments

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Yes, if you stay below the body line that runs just underneath the quarter window, you should be able to cut down the 72 full quarter panel to make it into a patch that will work on the 74. The door jamb area and lower portion of the quarter panel skin stayed the same. The body line and sail panel (C-pillar) are primarily what changed due to the different shape of the quarter windows for 73-74.

The location of the rear side marker lights did change slightly ... they were moved forward just a little for 73-74 since the bumpers in those years wrap around the sides a bit more. But the location of the marker light holes in the 72 quarter panels should be okay in your case since you're also planning on swapping to the earlier year rear bumper.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, if you stay below the body line that runs just underneath the quarter window, you should be able to cut down the 72 full quarter panel to make it into a patch that will work on the 74. The door jamb area and lower portion of the quarter panel skin stayed the same. The body line and sail panel (C-pillar) are primarily what changed due to the different shape of the quarter windows for 73-74.

The location of the rear side marker lights did change slightly ... they were moved forward just a little for 73-74 since the bumpers in those years wrap around the sides a bit more. But the location of the marker light holes in the 72 quarter panels should be okay in your case since you're also planning on swapping to the earlier year rear bumper.
Thank you for the conformation!

Would you happen to know the process to change over to a 72 bumper and tail panel? Nothing good is coming up in search, threads that do have info have broken pictures

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
You're welcome!

I haven't personally done a bumper / tail panel swap, but in comparing the 68-72 vs. 73-74 parts, the biggest issue you'll face will likely be dealing with the different gas filler location.

To swap everything over to the 68-72 style, you'd be looking at changing out the trunk floor, gas tank supports, gas tank w/filler neck & sending unit, along with the tail panel & bumper.

Changing / modifying just the filler neck would avoid having to swap the trunk floor & tank. But it would likely come at the expense of not being able to fill the larger (taller) 73/74 gas tank to it's full capacity due to the lower position of the 68-72 filler neck.

One possible solution would be to make a custom filler neck that works with a gas cap in the center of the tail panel (like an early Camaro).

The tail panel itself should be close to a direct swap (cut out the old and weld in the new). With the exception being in the center where the panel below it dips down to clear the gas filler ... some custom fabrication will be needed in that area to fill in the gap.

Once you unbolt the 74 rear bumper and impact absorbing mounts, you will be left with a relatively flat panel along the back of the car that should accept the 68-72 bumper using 68-72 bumper mounting brackets. The bolt hole pattern (where the bumper brackets bolt to the back of the car) is different so you'll likely have to drill some new holes.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
Additional trivia: this is why the window chrome metallic trim kits apply only t the 68-72, the front door trim and the front of the rear will fit, but not around the rest of the rear window.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
They make quarter skins for the 73/74 my buddy, and I just got one for his 74. I will ask him where he ordered it from.
I bought rear quarter panels for my 73 from Ground up....they better fit!

quarter panel SKINS is what you want, from what you drew on the photo,

PN RQS-73L and 73R
I agree, quarter panel SKINS would normally be a good choice here. Except for one thing ... SilverSilver said in his original post that he also needed the door jamb section.

The skins don't include the door jamb. And I don't think anyone sells a 3rd gen door jamb patch panel. So the only way to get that section (other than a donor car) would be to purchase a full 70-72 quarter panel and cut away the upper portion that won't fit 73/74 as I described back in my first reply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts