Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my girlfriends car from highschool. It has been sitting in the pasture for 10 years with a broken rear window. I am going to help her get it back running and in good daily driver shape. It wont be a frame off resto, but I dont want to do a shaby job either. She is keeping the white color but wants to clone an SS car. What all trim do I need to be looking for? I believe I need to paint the grill and surrounding parts black and add the SS emblems and the same on the rear tailight filler panels. I am definately open to some suggestions and help on making her car come back to life. It really makes her happy just thinking she may get to drive the car again someday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far I have added air to the tires and they are holding. Put in a used battery and cranked her over. No fire to the plugs so I need to check the points and coil. She also ripped of the ex-husbands tag and threw it away...LOL

We will be starting with all the free stuff we can do. Once we get it to her house a few blocks away we will start removing the interior. The floorboards are bad but I need to see how bad so I can start scrounging for parts. I will then start tackling the rust and old paint. I am new to autobody, I am more of a mechanical person so I am sure I will have a lot of questions as I encounter new problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I fogged the cylinders already. I had to spray down the hood hinges to get the hood closed also.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
72 project

I think the first thing I would do is drop the gas tank and have it cleaned before you attempt to start it. No need to add any trash to the fuel system. Good luck with your project,,,, Ron

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was my plan until I found out it has a full tank of gas and her parents do not want me spilling any fuel. I was planning on gravity feeding the fuel to some gas tanks and then disposing of it. I wll be rebuilding all of the fuel system so I changed plans to add octane and just get it the two blocks to her house then drain the old fuel.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You may just want to put it on a flat bed and have it delivered. After sitting that long, the brakes may not want to work all that well. The wheel cylinders may need to be freed up.
You have a good looking project there, I've already torn it down repaired and replaced and have the body painted......in my mind. Have fun and keep the pictures coming.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yuck!

No offense. I can say "yuck" because your car looks to be in about the same awful shape as mine when I started on it. You can have a look at my build thread (link in my signature) for some ideas of what you may be facing. Lots of projects start out with the belief that there won't be all that much to do, then you dig in and find so much wrong that the constant money stream starts. Not wishing anything bad on you, but don't say you weren't warned.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck with your project. I would so much rather see a car put back on the road than sold for parts or sent to the crusher. So, thanks in advance for doing just that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took a couple hour break from working on my house and went over to the field to see if I could get some spark. Cleaned up the points and now we have fire, still did not start but tried by adding some fuel to the carb manually. It has a backfire through the carb so next chance I get I will concentrate on timing. My girlfriends father believed it may be a stuck valve which could also be a possability but it turned by hand with little effort and never felt like a piston was hitting a valve. It did burn out the oil that he had poured into the carb before it was parked. I think I may need to go over with a new set of plugs...I also need to see if it is pumping gas. The tank has a locking cap and no key, any pointers for getting the cap off?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spent about thirty minutes at the car today. I pulled the hose off the vacuum advance and that took care of the backfire. I used some fresh fuel in the carb and the Nova started right up but died as soon as the fuel ran out of the bowl. I checked for fuel from the pump and it was flowing, just no octane in the old fuel to run the engine. I was able to fill the bowl with good fuel and move the car under its own power about 15 feet into a nice flat area I can work to drain the fuel tank. I snapped a pick of the engine compartment for comparison later on...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Girlfriend found a pick of the Nova right after her parents purchased it for her back in the 80's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thought I would have the Nova out of the field today. I rigged up a new gas tank and hose since I can not drain the old tank down. Started right up and ran fine but the front right tire was flat. Shut off the engine and had some trouble getting the flat to hold air. Once I was ready to start up again the engine never cranked. Hooked up the jumper cables thinking it was the battery and nothing. Either the bendix went out on the starter or the safety switch in the column is messed up. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts