Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Afternoon, I have a 72 Nova I am working on, the previous owner rip out some wiring, especially wiper switch wiring. The color wires on the wiper motor and washer pump is

I need to know which color goes on what pole of the 2 speed wiper switch please.

My switch has 5 poles on it

My wire colors on motor

Dark Blue

Light Blue

Black

yellow with black stripe

TIA

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,064 Posts
Welcome!

The yellow wire with the black stripe is the +12V power feed to the wiper motor. It comes directly off the "wiper" fuse and does not run through the wiper switch on the dash.

The light blue wire goes to the "high" speed terminal on the wiper switch. The switch completes the circuit to ground to operate the motor on high speed.

The black wire goes to the "low" speed terminal on the wiper switch. For low speed operation, the switch grounds both this black wire and the light blue one.

The dark blue wire goes to the "wash" terminal on the wiper switch. The switch completes the circuit to ground to activate the solenoid that engages the washer pump mechanism.

The terminals are not labeled on the back of the switch, but there should be one terminal that's offset a bit from the other 3. That offset terminal gets connected directly to ground and is needed since the switch is mounted to the plastic dash bezel. Then, starting on the side nearest that ground terminal, the remaining 3 terminals are "wash", "high", and "low" in that order.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,064 Posts
You're welcome!

I forgot to mention that tab that looks like a 5th terminal on the swich ... you don't need to make any electrical connection to that one.

So (as oriented in your picture), the terminal at the top is ground. Then the 3 terminals on the right side are (going from top to bottom) "wash", "high", and "low".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much, I very grateful for your response and blessed to find this site. It has been 38 years since I owned my last Nova. I purchased this one from a guy in Kentucky that was trying to turn the car into a drag car. He was running into some money issues so I was lucky to find this Nova. Body was 95% Straight, has new motor and trans in it. It has been a work in progress since the middle of January Ha Ha! But I love it, I need to wire the door jam switches back in the car, is there a place on the internet it shows how to wire them up? Both are two prong switches. Sorry that switch picture was so big, Thanks Again !

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,064 Posts
You're welcome again! Looks like you found a nice Nova there!

There are some wiring diagrams on this website that should show the door jamb switch wiring. Go to the "Best of Electrical" sub-forum and then to the sticky post titled "All Generation Wiring Schematics".

Generally, the door jamb switches are connected to the white wire on the dome / courtesy light circuit. And the switches complete the circuit to ground to turn on the lights.

A two terminal switch was originally used on the driver side to operate both the dome / courtesy light and the key-in-ignition buzzer. The switches ground both terminals when the doors are open so you can simply leave one terminal unused when using them for just the dome / courtesy lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts