Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know or have seen a car with the YF8 Stripe - black on a 1972 Nova SS. I have a code on my documentation. Car has been painted over original paint

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Hi, and welcome to Steve's.

First, let me say that I was selling new Chevrolets in 1972 and your question threw me for a loop! I had to do some serious looking to find the answer.

What I didn't remember was that "YF8" is a color. When stripes were specified on the order sheet, YF8 meant black and ZR8 was white. In the case of a 1972 Nova SS, that would have translated as ZJ2/YF8, which is a black pinstripe that ran the length of the car, following the upper body line (just below the windows).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information, I was hoping it was the 2 stripes on the hood and trunk, saw a few online that had them, but probably added after not at gm factory. My car does have the ZJ2 option also. One other question is my Paint is 4001PC Special Order. I attached a picture of the inside rear body panel for review. I think it matches up to Mediterranean Blue 25. Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Wow! You really come up with some good questions!!

GM Paint Code 4001 ties back to a color called Clematis Blue that was used on LUV trucks in the early '70s. There's a link below that shows the color being used from '73 thru '75, but other sources show it available in '72.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorco...model=Chevy Truck&sname=Clematis Blue&rows=50

To be quite frank, though, the color on the panel in your photo actually looks more like Marina Blue!

Hope this helps...

Edit: You also asked about Sport Stripes (RPO D88 - A.K.A. "Z28" stripes). As far as I know, these were never available from the factory on Novas. I have heard that some dealers applied them to existing new cars, but I've never seen any actual documentation to support that claim. And, so as not to get the heads of '74 SS owners spinning, Chevrolet did use the RPO D88 designation to denote a set of narrow stripes on the hoods and decks of '74 Nova SS models, but these weren't even slightly similar to the earlier wide stripes available on Camaros, Chevelles and El Caminos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts